Seniors baffle staff with basketball buzzer-beater

Senior+Jason+Auzenne+drives+the+ball+towards+the+basket+as+therapist+Ryan+Fabie+plays+defense+against+him.+At+Wednesdays+Winter+Rally%2C+seniors+defeated+staff+27-25%2C+in+the+annual+staff-student+basketball+game.+According+to+Education+Specialist+Dan+Gallucio%2C+he+was+glad+to+have+been+a+part+of+the+staff+team+during+the+winter+rally%2C+where+he+saw+many+students+enthusiasm.+%E2%80%9CIt+unites+the+whole+school+a+little+bit+and+gets+everyone+hyped+up+for+the+winter%2C+Gallucio+said.+
Celina Lee
Senior Jason Auzenne drives the ball towards the basket as therapist Ryan Fabie plays defense against him. At Wednesday’s Winter Rally, seniors defeated staff 27-25, in the annual staff-student basketball game. According to Education Specialist Dan Gallucio, he was glad to have been a part of the staff team during the winter rally, where he saw many students’ enthusiasm. “It unites the whole school a little bit and gets everyone hyped up for the winter,” Gallucio said.

In a nail-biting game during Palo Alto High School’s annual students-versus-staff basketball game, seniors triumphed, 27-25, with a last-minute shot during the lunch Winter Rally on Wednesday in the Peery Center Gym.

The two teams were closely matched with minor point differences throughout. With one minute left in the fourth quarter, the staff managed to score two more shots, bringing them in the lead by just one point, 25-24.

With only a few seconds left in the game, senior Kara Vetter scored a 3-pointer, ultimately winning the game for the seniors. 

“I didn’t think it was going in, but then I saw it go and it was crazy,” Vetter said. 

According to Education Specialist Jordan French, the three-pointer was very impressive.

“I knew she was going to make it right when she shot it because she’s a basketball player,” French said. “She nailed that as the buzzer was expiring. I hope that’s on video somewhere.”

Education Specialist Dan Galluccio said he was glad to have been a part of the staff team during the winter rally and the students’ enthusiasm was infectious. 

“I felt like everyone in the stands was having fun,” Galluccio said. “Being in special ed, we don’t really get much of an opportunity to interact with everyone, so it was cool to be able to actually interact with more of the general population and get more exposure.”

Throughout the game, the Cheer and Dance team led student chants from the sidelines, inciting spirit among the students.

In a video during half-time, the Associated Student Body revealed this year’s prom location to be the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy on May 18. 

According to Sophomore Class President David Wu, planning the Winter Rally involved a lot of coordination to organize the basketball teams and configure the activities.

The extended lunch helped the planning a lot more in terms of what we could fit into our time,” Wu said. “The rally was very exciting, and it really brings together the Paly community and the Paly spirit.”