Girls’ soccer edges out Falcons

Palo Alto High School 9th grader left back Ellie Knott prepares to run after the ball during the girl’s varsity soccer game on Tuesday at home. The Vikings won, 2-1, against the Falcons, keeping the Vikings at third in the league. According to Viking sophomore center back Reyes Aronson, the Vikings play solidly as a unified team. “I feel like our team together as a whole played really good,” Aronson said. “We were switching it really well, keeping the ball, … doing things we should be doing.” (Photo: Andrew Zhao)

In a close-fought game with unpredictable weather, the Palo Alto High School varsity girls’ soccer team (4-2-2) beat the Saratoga Falcons (1-6), 2-1, Tuesday at home. 

The Vikings are currently ranked third in their league and had previously beaten Saratoga 2-1 in an away game.

Head coach Jeremy Romero said the Vikings wanted to keep up the intensity and positive attitude. 

“Our team’s mentality was to continue to show that we have what it takes to remain on top of the table,” Romero said. “We’ve had two losses this season so far, and we can’t let that define who we are. We have got to continue to push forward and show teams that we’re capable of playing at a high level at all times.”

The game started off slow, but the Vikings consistently applied good pressure on the Falcons, giving them very few offensive opportunities. In the 26th minute,Viking sophomore right winger Yara Chaib passed the ball from behind the post to sophomore attacking midfielder Areet Rao, who finished off the play with a beautifully placed shot in the top right corner of the goal, putting the Vikings ahead, 1-0. 

According to Rao, the synergy between the Vikings allowed for many offensive opportunities. 

“I thought we had really good combinations up the middle, and that helped break down the opponent,” Rao said. “We would pull in a defender and then slip it to our teammate, and it turned into multiple 2v1s, which helped us ultimately score.”

In the second half, the Eagles gained some momentum and managed to keep the ball on the Vikings’ side for the majority of the first 10 minutes. However, they were unable to capitalize on this to get a goal. 

A light drizzle set in 17 minutes into the half, but it had little effect on the players. After a corner kick and a header, the Eagles bounced the ball off the post and then scored, tying the match, 1-1. In the last 10 minutes, Chaib passed the ball to Viking junior left winger Evin Steele, who kicked the ball into the lower left corner of the goal, making the score 2-1. The Vikings’ defense held for the rest of the game, sealing the win. 

Viking sophomore center back Reyes Aronson said the Vikings’ team’s defense held strong.

“They had a strong offense because of a few strong forwards, and that was their main thing,” Aronson said. “But, our defense really shut that down.”

Falcon head coach Ben Maxwell said that the Falcons modified their game strategy from their last match to attrition.

“Palo Alto teams are very strong,” Maxwell said. “We knew that, so we just tried to put a game plan in place that frustrated [them] a little bit and just allowed us to stay in the game.”

Romero said that the Vikings will improve on both their offensive and defensive game. If the Vikings had better taken advantage of their offensive plays, the would have won by a much larger margin. 

“The biggest thing we want to focus on is our defensive line, and to make sure they’re always on the same page,” Romero said. “And then, at the same time, focus on our offensive game, making sure that every opportunity that comes our way we’re able to put it in the back of the net.”

According to Romero, the Vikings played an overall consistent game and continue to keep a confident mindset. 

“Just keep a positive attitude. I think they’ve been doing that throughout the whole season so far, and I tell them a positive attitude can go a long way and they prove that today,” Romero said. 

The Vikings are set to play at 7 p.m. Tuesday against the Homestead Mustangs (4-3-1) at home.