Watch out male rap artists–a woman is coming to town

Rap fans, pay attention, because a new artist is coming your way—18 year old Ak’Sent (Krystle Johnson).

According to her press packet, Ak’Sent signed on with Capitol Records to create her first album International. She recently released her new single, "Zingy" for review by the press.

From the perspective of a normal non-rap fan, the budding rap artist’s debut single gives the impression Dorothy must have experience after whirling away to the magical land of Oz. You’re not in Kansas anymore. In this case "Kansas" would be the comfortable realm of English.

"Zingy" showcases Ak’Sent’s gibberish and tongue-twisting rhyming ability, diverging from the normally foul-language associated with rap. After the initial jolt of Ak’Sent’s strange jargon, the song retains some appeal.

"What a refreshing break from all of the women-degrading lyrics we usually hear," junior Silvia Tueros-Cossio said.

The song’s lyrics should also gain approval from parents worried about slang and swearing in their children’s music. As Ak’Sent’s press packet reveals, the "keeping it clean" lyrics are intended.

"I think there are other ways to get your point across. Besides, I wasn’t raised like that," Ak’Sent said.

In general, rap fans at Paly enjoyed the single.

"This infectious hook is going to stay in my head all day," Tueros-Cossio said.

"It’s a good song for background music. I was kind of surprised it wasn’t more hip-hoppy, considering it is a girl. It is not as sing-songy as I expected," junior Chrisitie Cory said.

"’Zingy’ goes down nicely in the club," senior Melissa Cetlin said.

"Zingy," however, did receive a negative comment, which can be expected with such a deviation from normal rap.

"I like the beat, but the lyrics are stupid," junior Noa Kornbluh said.

Overall, however, Paly awaits more Ak’Sent with anticipation.

"I can’t wait until the album is released," Cory said.