Float building — more student help wanted

With music booming and the whirring sounds of wood being cut to precision, students from each grade at Palo Alto High School are helping build their Spirit Week floats, which will be paraded at Friday’s rally and the night’s 7 p.m. Homecoming football game against Menlo School.

This year, the theme for the freshmen is  “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” sophomores are “Super Mario Bros,” juniors are “Pirates” and seniors are “Out of this World.”

According to junior Briar Dorogusker, the lack of juniors helping with float building is disappointing.

“There’s only really been a dozen of us while there’s been close to 20 to 30 of sophomores and freshmen,” Dorogusker said. “We need to pick it up a little bit, but considering the amount of people, I think we’ve done a great job. Having more people will really help move it along.”

Senior Lorenzo Lisi said there were less students at float building on the first day this year than on the last days of previous years but is feeling optimistic.

“It seems a bit less than last year, just because it’s the beginning,” Lisi said. “It’s the first Spirit Day and towards the end, quite a lot of people show up.”

Sophomore Savannah Taylor said that work could be distributed as more people join float building.

“When new people come in, there can be more jobs that they can do,” Taylor said.

Freshman Kai Bunger-Tang adds about the progress of the freshman class float.

“There isn’t a lot of people on our team,” Bunger-Tang said. “I’ll ask my friends to come.”

Students who are free after school for the rest of the week can help build their class float in front of the Peery Center every day until 7 p.m. — pizza and snacks are provided.