Seniors pull ahead further in first Spirit Week rally

Celina Lee

The senior class is eager to win Spirit Week this year after toppling the junior class in today’s lunchtime rally at the Earl Hansen Viking Stadium. The stands erupted in cheers and excitement as the seniors won and the point total was announced. Seniors lead with 1,500 points, followed by juniors at 1,200, sophomores at 1,000 and freshmen at 800.

The main event of the rally, organized by the Associated Student Body, was the Tug of War. Freshmen went head-to-head against juniors in the first round and sophomores against seniors in the second round. The third round consisted of the winners of the first two rounds, juniors and seniors, culminating in a senior victory.

Freshman Ayelet Rafalin, said she was excited to experience Spirit Week even if she didn’t anticipate any victories.

“People say that Spirit Week is a really big deal at Paly and that everyone participates,” Rafalin said. “We [freshmen] want to win, but we’re probably not going to.”

On the other hand, senior Beck Lynn said he was very optimistic for the senior class after their win today.

“Of course we won,” Lynn said. “We’ll continue to win because we’re the best.”

Junior Kofi Kim, who is new to Paly this year, said that the rally was unexpectedly unspirited, and he hopes that the next rallies and Homecoming activities will showcase more school spirit.

Juniors pulling hard on the rope during the Tug of War game against the seniors. (Photo: Celina Lee)

“Despite being five times the size of my old school, the Paly Spirit Rally was much less energetic,” Kim said. “The next rallies and Homecoming game better bring the hype. I hope that Paly steps up their game.”

The next rally will be at lunch tomorrow in the Big Gym, with ASB hosting a “Balloon Pop Relay.” The theme is “Salad Dressing Day”:  freshmen as “Healthy Choice”, sophomores as “Ranch,” juniors as “Green Goddess,” seniors as “Caesar” and teachers as “Honey Mustard.”

The week will continue with rallies at lunch on Wednesday in the Big Gym, Thursday on the football field and Friday after school on the football field.