Seniors take early lead in Spirit Week

Sophomores dressed as Mario, Luigi and Yoshi stand on the stage during brunch today on the Quad. According to junior Charlie Chen, the turnout for the best-dressed event was better than he expected, but more students should be allowed to join in the competition. People are super energetic and theyre demonstrating their Paly spirit, but two people is not enough, Chen said. There should be a higher bar for the number of people allowed [to participate]. (Photo: Arjun Jindal)
Sophomores dressed as Mario, Luigi and Yoshi stand on the stage during brunch today on the Quad. According to junior Charlie Chen, the turnout for the best-dressed event was better than he expected, but more students should be allowed to join in the competition. “People are super energetic and they’re demonstrating their Paly spirit, but two people is not enough,” Chen said. “There should be a higher bar for the number of people allowed [to participate].” (Photo: Arjun Jindal)

The Palo Alto High School senior class has taken an early lead in Spirit Week following the first Best Dressed event at brunch today.

Students showcased outfits based on their class themes, and competed for the title of “Best Dressed” to earn points towards their Spirit Week rankings. Convening on the Quad, outfits were rated by Associated Student Body judges and assigned rankings by graduating class.

The seniors won the title, with juniors and freshmen following closely behind. Despite performing well in the event, the sophomore class ended up being penalized as a result of having too many people on the stage, leading to a last-place finish.

According to sophomore Lucas Irulegui, who was wearing a complete “Mario” costume, mustache included, the sophomore class remains spirited despite placing last in today’s best-dressed showcase.

“The sophomore class has a lot of spirit this year,” Irulegui said. “Even though we got penalized today, I think we have a chance to win it all.”

Irulegui said the theme for the Class of 2026 this year is better than last year’s theme of “the Lorax.”

“I really like the ‘Super Mario’ theme,” Irulegui said. “I took this costume from my friend, and I think my ensemble [outfit] is pretty nice. It’s a lot better than the one [theme] from freshman year, and I think the ones later in the week are going to be better too.”

Senior Declan Packer, rocking a colorful Y2K outfit, said he is confident about the senior class’s chances at victory.

“Seniors are gonna win this year,” Packer said. “Good luck to everyone else, but you’re done for.”

Spirit Week will continue tomorrow with the theme being “Salad Dressing” and a balloon pop relay and human ring toss at lunch in the Big Gym.