Closer to open Thursday at Haymarket Theater

An independent student production of Closer will premier on Thursday, June 1 in the Haymarket Theater. The play will run through Friday, June 2.

The play, which contains controversial and graphic sexual content, is not a Paly production and has not been condoned by the Paly theater department according to Kristen Lo, head of Paly theater.

"Closer is about four adults exploring the meanings of love, sex, and trust in relationships," said senior producer and director Portia Carryer.

After reading the script of Closer, written by Patrick Marber, Carryer became inspired.

"I started out not understanding the play at all, and ended up falling in love with it," Carryer said. "I think Closer has been a journey for me and the cast and I am proud of the professionalism and passion they brought to the production."

The play consists of four actors playing four different characters and chronicles their intertwining relationships and affairs over time.

"It’s a beautifully written show," said junior Kat Cravens, who plays the part of Alice Ayres. "It’s been really exciting. I’ve never been in a play with such deep characters."

Because the play deals with very mature and carnal themes, production was uncomfortable at times for the young cast.

"There was about a week where it was pretty awkward," said junior Elan Maier, who plays Larry. "[The show] is animalistic."

The play will be slightly different from the recent movie adaptation of Closer, due to some content editing.

"I made the decision to cut certain things, but Kristen [Lo] did not cut anything," said Carryer. "Nothing I cut takes away from the honesty or integrity of the play."

Show times are Thursday and Friday at 8:00 p.m. in the Haymarket Theater and admission is free.