Lattanzi sets State record in 800-meter for 2006

Sophomore Mia Lattanzi set the state record for 2006 in the 800-meter event at the CCS finals meet on friday. The meet was an alround success for the Vikings, including a seventh place finish in the mile by junior Alicia Ivanhoe and a seventh in the 100-meter hurdles by senior Elissa Chandler.

In the 800-meter race, Lattanzi was the favorite in the event, coming off a personal record race in the CCS trials. Friday’s race was Lattanzi’s chance to test her capabilties. In her previous races, she had little competition. However, Friday’s this race, Lattanzi took advantage of other fast runners and used them to pace herself for a fast race. On the final lap of the event, Lattanzi was neck and neck with Archbishop Mitty junior Renisha Robinson. Lattanzi took a meter lead in the last 200-meters, and blew Robinson and the other competition away with a time of 2:09.65 to claim first place in CCS.

The time is also the fastest girl’s 800-meter time in the state of California this year, beating the previous record holder Shannon Murakami of Saugus High School, who had a time of 2:10.03. After CCS finals, Lattanzi was ranked second in the nation, and is only one second behind Brittany Hall of Georgia.