Student facing suspension following on-campus alcohol incident

An upperclassman who was found inebriated in class on Tuesday, May 23, will be receiving a suspension, according to Palo Alto High School administrators.

According to assistant principal Douglas Walker, the student will be suspended for "anywhere from two to five days" following today’s incident that brought both the police and paramedics on campus.

According to witnesses, the student’s behavior attracted attention during fourth period.

"I was sitting a few feet away [from the student] and he got up to go to the bathroom or something, and then passed out and fell on the floor," said a senior who witnessed the incident. "He tried to get up, staggered to his desk, put his head down and sat there awhile. His face was pure white."

According to Walker, the student "consumed alcoholic substances" at some point during the morning.

"The teacher noticed that the student was behaving irrationally and sluggish," Walker said. "Because the student was not feeling well, the student was then helped to the health office by a classmate."

According to witnesses, an ambulance came later to treat him on a stretcher, and he had been handcuffed.

According to the Palo Alto Police Department, further details on the incident will be released tomorrow.

Editor-in-chief Doreen Bloch contributed to this article.