Paly Glass program blows in $2600 from glass sale

Shimmering vases, glistening glass bowls, radiant glass flowers in swirls of color filled the table at Paly’s spring glass sale, raising $2600.

The sale featured blown glass works by primarily Advanced Sculpture students, as well as some professional artists, including Pamina Traylor.

The glass works included vases, bowls, flowers, pumpkins and fruits, such as pears and apples, made by Anthony Alfaro, blown glass instructor and assistant to Paly art teacher David Camner. The works came in all sorts of beautiful colors, such as red, blue, green, brown, orange, yellow and pink.

“I like to make work for people to put in their home,” senior Derek Schneider said. “I like the fact that people buy my stuff, with my name on it, and will have it for a long time.”

The prices ranged from $10 for some of the flowers, to $300 for Traylor’s piece, an exquisite white decanter with intricate gray spirals.

According to Alfaro, forty percent of the proceeds go to the Paly Glass program, while the remaining sixty percent go to the artists. Traylor recently led a glass demonstration with students, part of the art department’s aim to bring in artists as special guests to work with students.

“Different artists come through and do workshops with the kids,” Alfaro said.

Student artist junior Austin Stern takes particular pride in one of his pieces, an orange bowl with swirls of yellow. However, for Stern, nerves play a role in having his glass up for sale.

“It makes me kind of nervous when people pick up my stuff,” he said. “I’d hate to see someone holding my piece and say ‘Oh, this is cool, but that piece over there is so much better.’”

In order to achieve an exquisite glass product, a lot of time and effort is put forth. According to Alfaro, first, the glass is melted in a furnace and then gathered on a pipe. It is then molded into a round, smooth, even shape, and finally blown into by the artist.

“It takes about a semester of introduction to learn about glass,” Alfaro said.

According to Camner, Paly sales of these glass works happen three times a year — in the fall, holiday season and spring.

“Parents and teachers are very supportive of the glass sales here in Palo Alto,” Camner said.