YCS president to host literacy event

Inspired by a growing trend to attract young audiences, Paly Youth Community Service (YCS) President Elaine Chen is organizing a literacy-promoting event to take place on Wednesday, May 24 at 3:30 p.m. in the Main Library.

Chen’s main objective is to encourage young children to learn to read by captivating their imaginations.

“This year a big theme of YCS and other organizations has been literacy,” Chen said. “Because literacy is such an important goal, the YCS staff decided that we should do something about it. My project was one of the ideas that we decided to pursue.”

The occasion will feature a reading by local author Caryn Huberman Yacowitz. Yacowitz, who resides in Palo Alto, has written two picture books — The Jade Stone, A Chinese Folktale and Pumpkin Fiesta — and a musical titled “Jeans!” in association with the Palo Alto Children’s Theater.

Initially, the proposal was aimed at the East Palo Alto public libraries, but YCS decided to launch its project in Palo Alto and later expand into East Palo Alto.

“As of right now it is a one-time event,” Chen said. “However, if everything goes according to plan we might write a grant so that it can be a continuous effort. We’ll see how things go on Wednesday.”

Since the occasion does not pertain to the interests of many Paly students, Chen has found it difficult to market the event.

“The library is doing most of the advertisement,” Chen said. “YCS is doing some, but our students are usually middle and high school students. This event is targeted more towards three to six-year-olds.”

Although the event is intended for a younger age group, all are welcome to attend. It will be the last official YCS-subsidized event of the year.

Just last week, YCS held “Celebration of Service,” a ceremony to honor all YCS members in the area, at Mitchell Park Community Center.

According to Chen’s co-president, Caterina Yuan, YCS is also in the process of looking for a new teacher sponsor, because its current sponsor will not be returning to Paly next year.