Students to elect fall student council next week; read candidate statements online

Elections for next year’s fall student council are scheduled to take place during lunch next week, beginning on May 24 through May 26, on the quad.

According to student activities director Joann Vaars, ten students are currently running for office. According to Vaars, juniors Kolby Dauler and Josh Krumbein, along with sophomore incumbent ASB president Mohammed Abid, are running for the position of student body president. Junior Ariana Snow is running uncontested for the position of student body vice-president.

The sophomore, junior and senior class president positions will also be on next week’s ballot. Junior Tyler Stetson is running uncontested for the senior class president position, and freshmen Erik Klingbeil and Monica Bhide are both vying for the sophomore class presidency. Sophomores Kristen Witte, Roxy Busch and Sahar Raz are running for junior class president, with sophomore Morgan Pichinson as the sole candidate for the junior class representative position.

The Paly Voice provides the candidates’ statements below:

Student Body President

Kolby Dauler:

Hey, my name is Kolby Dauler and I am currently your ASB vice president. This last semester was my first semester of student government and it has been a great learning experience. I am confident that I can handle the commitments of the ASB president position and I look forward to the challenges.

Mohammed Abid:

Hey everyone! My name is Mohammed Abid and I am your current ASB President and I am running for ASB President again. The position of ASB President is very complex and requires someone with experience. Having been ASB President, I know what is going on and I have recognized what I have done wrong and what worked. With this knowledge, I can greatly improve next semester. Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to read this and I hope you vote me, Mohammed Abid, for ASB President.

Josh Krumbein:

Good evening fellow Palyians. Many of yew may no me as Josh X. Krumbein. The X is for X:X. First of all, I would like to thank you for accepting my e-mail. It took a lot of courage. Now down to business, I am appearing on your screen to announce my running for the office of President of the Student Body in the class of 2000 and 7. I believe in a better tomorrow. . . . . . . . . today. I hope to meet you in the coming election. Viva la Pale! Good night.

Student Body Vice-President

Ariana Snow:

Hi! My name is Ariana Snow and I am running for ASB Vice President. I was on ASB this year, and I was Class President last year- so I have a lot of experience and a lot to offer for next fall. I would be a great Vice President because I know how Student Council runs, and how to get things done efficiently. So vote for Ariana Snow for your fall ’06 ASB Vice President!!!

Senior Class President

Tyler Stetson:

As a Junior Class Representative, I know that it takes a lot of students to run Student Government and school activities. Iâ??ve seen many of my peers on the council and admire the dedication. I could make a positive impact on the school and I possess the leadership qualities needed to head the senior class of 07. I have a lot of pride and respect for my class and I know that I have the leadership abilities to make sure that my year will be the role models we need to be for the rest of the student body.

Junior Class President

Kristen Witte:

Hi, Iâ??m Kristen Witte. I am running for Junior Class President. I am running because I would love to represent the class of 2008 for our junior year because I think that junior year is one of the most important years of high school and I would love for our class to be more united. If elected I would plan more class activities to promote class spirit.

Roxy Busch:

To me, being Junior Class President is more than a fun responsibility. I see it as a way to reach out to the student body and appeal to the diversity of interests in all Paly students. I want to get everyone excited about school activities so our school is filled with Viking pride and spirit. My enthusiasm and love to inspire will make me one fun president, and being a new girl at Paly, I bring in some CRAZY, fun and creative ideas, straight out of Idaho So, be smart like a fox and vote for Rox!

Sahar Raz:

Usually, what people tend to write is what they promise to do for this school such as cut back on stress. Honestly, I can?t make teachers give less homework. You see, promising is not the issue, making those promises happen is what its about. Why vote for me? I?m involved in the Friendship Circle, a hospital volunteer program, and cheerleading; therefore I know how to put in the work, hours, and dedication to make things happen.
I?ll devote myself in many ways so that what I promise, I will execute. Vote Sahar Raz.

Junior Class Representative

Morgan Pichinson:

Hi, I am Morgan Pichinson. For the 2006-2007 school year I would like to run for the Junior Class Representative position. I would really focus on listening to everyoneâ??s ideas and make sure that their opinions are heard in student council. I really want to further connect the government to the students. I would be honored to represent the class of 2008.

Sophomore Class President

Erik Klingbeil:

I am running for the position of Sophomore Class President because the interests and opinions of the students are important to me. Last year, as Jordan’s Student Body President, we successfully conducted fundraisers and drafted a new budget that allowed for more activities and eliminated the previous year’s budget shortfall. This year as a Class Representative, other students expressed areas of concern and interest to me for next year. I look forward to the opportunity to address Sophomore interests, together with our classmates. Thank you.

Monica Bhide:

I’ve been a participant in a multitude of political and leadership programs. Over the summer, I took part in Freshman Leadership Corps and Counselor in Training. I’m a member of Paly’s debate team, in which I learned useful public speaking skills. I also am a senior member of a program called Model United Nations, in which I held the positions of Vice-President of an organ, and chair of a committee.

Candidate statements are reproduced, courtesy of Joann Vaars.