Paly swimmers finish second at CCS

Both Paly varsity swim teams finished off their seasons with second place finishes Saturday at this year’s Central Coast Section meet at Stanford’s Avery Aquatics Center.

The Paly boys finished with a total of 228 points, behind Bellarmine College Preparatory, which scored 402 points and has won CCS for the past 22 consecutive years. The girls scored 240 points, failing to defend their title from CCS rival Archbishop Mitty, which finished with 278 points.

â??We finished second in both divisions, and Iâ??m proud of that,â?? Paly head coach Danny Dye said. â??The girls were hoping to defend their title, but knew it would be an uphill battle. Mitty gained some strong freshmen this year.â??

In the 400-yard freestyle relay, sophomore Liv Jensen, junior Tanya Wilcox, and seniors Phoebe Champion and Becky Wenzlau finished second with an automatic All-American time of 3:31.03. The Vikings finished behind the Mitty team, which came with a time of 3:29.85. However, the Paly relay defeated Monta Vistaâ??s relay by over four seconds, avenging their defeat in the same event at the earlier Monta Vista dual meet.

â??Everyone was swimming very well,â?? Wenzlau said. â??Our relays were awesome.â??

The girls enjoyed success in individual events as well. In the 50-yard freestyle, Jensen finished first with another automatic All-American time of 23:18. However, Jensen did not break the CCS record time of 22.84, as she had hoped.

â??I didnâ??t break the 50 free CCS record, but I still have two more years,â?? Jensen said. â??Iâ??ll get it sometime.â??

Also in the 50-yard freestyle was freshman Allie Bollela, who was seeded 35th out of 47 but finished 14th with a time of 25.16. Bollela was the only JV swimmer from Paly to qualify for CCS.

â??I started practicing with varsity earlier in the season, then swam with varsity at leagues,â?? Bollela said.

Bollela also swam in the 200-yard free relay with Champion, Wenzlau and Wilcox. The relay finished second to Mitty with an All-American time of 1:38.59.

In the 100-yard freestyle, the Paly girls flooded the event with three swimmers. Jensen came in second with an automatic All-American time of 51.23, while Wenzlau came in sixth at 53.61 and Champion finished seventh with a time of 54.42.

The boys also did well in the 100-yard freestyle, with senior Edward Morrison finishing sixth with a time of 47.59, and senior Eric Vallone finishing eighth with a time of 47.90. The boys had their sights set on higher goals, however.

â??Weâ??re trying to get top three in the 400-yard free relay,â?? Morrison said before the event. â??We want to get an All-American time.â??

The boys proceeded to finish fourth in the 400-yard freestyle relay, with sophomore Michael Fortune, and senior co-captains Robbie Nakamura, Vallone and Morrison finishing with an Automatic All-American time of 3:13.03.

â??This yearâ??s CCS was faster than last yearâ??s,â?? Nakamura said. â??But at the same time our team has improved as well.â??

â??Weâ??re very proud of our finish this year,â?? Vallone said.

With much of the varsity team graduating this year, the Paly swim teams will have to reorganize for next yearâ??s season.

â??Weâ??re losing some solid seniors, but weâ??re getting some underclassmen as well,â?? Dye said. â??We have some solid people we can build around.â??