Boys' track finishes second in league

The varsity boys finished the season in second place behind Los Gatos in the De Anza league championship track meet last week. While the regular season is over, last week’s meet determined which athletes qualify to go on to compete this Saturday in the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League (SCVAL) qualifier meet.

Top scorers were senior Scott Himmelberger and junior Sam Margevicuis. Himmelburger finished third in the mile behind two Los Gatos runners, and second in the two-mile, earning a total of 14 points. Margevicius also contributed 14 points to the team score, finishing second in the 110 Hurdles, fourth in the 300 hurdles and fifth in the high jump.

Paly’s varsity boys have finished in the top half of the league over the past couple years, while other teams in the league have been less consistent. Last year, the viking boys finished third behind Los Altos and Lynbrook, but this year Los Altos and Lynbrook finished seventh and sixth, respectively.

"It’s cool coming in second, especially since lots of our great athletes graduated last year," Margivicius said. "I didnt think we could do that well, but many underclassman came through with lots of speed."

From last week’s performance, 17 boys finished in the top 16 of the combined De Anza and El Camino divisions, qualifying to compete in the Central Coast Section (CCS) qualifier meet 8:00 a.m. this Saturday at Los Gatos High School.

Athletes will strive to qualify for the CCS Semifinals at San Jose City College the following Saturday by finishing in the top five or meeting a qualifying mark. For those hoping to compete in the CCS finals meet and then the State meet, each performance at the individual qualifying meets matters.