Running for a good cause

The Future Brain Cancer Institute [FBCI] held their third annual Run For the Future at the Palo Alto Baylands Sunday, April 30.

“The Run for the Future is a way to have fun and feel good about helping the cause to cure brain cancer,” FBCI founder, director, and CEO Meredith Warshaw said.

The 10k run started at 8:30 a.m. and the run/walk started at 9 a.m.

This year, new races for children 13 years of age and under allowed kids to run alongside their peers. Children in kindergarten and under ran a 200m, those in first and second grade ran a quarter mile, those in third and fourth grade ran half a mile, and those in fifth and sixth grade ran one mile.

“The Run for the Future was initially created by my daughter, Elizabet Warshaw-Vickery, in memory of her father, Dr. Brian Vickery, who died of brain cancer in 2002,” Warshaw said. “The Run for the Future is a very successful walk/run and it is a great way for our community to gather, have fun, stay fit, and support a great cause. It is one way that the Future Brain Cancer Institute increases public awareness about brain cancer.”

The Run For the Future also offered other events besides running or walking to raise money for FBCI such as a raffle.

“We will have face painting and balloons to give out [at the run]. In addition we are excited to have a celebrity who will be our emcee from NBC11– the weather guy, John Farley,” Warshaw said.

Fred Ronnau, a volunteer coordinator who oversaw volunteers on the day of the run, encouraged people to volunteer and engage in the run this year because of its great cause.

"Volunteering is so rewarding when compared to other things we could be doing," Ronnau said. "Does a few hours of TV or at the mall really make you feel like you accomplished anything? Do you even remember what is as you did with your free time last week? Try and use your time productively."

As for upcoming events for FBCI, the Amitie Ensemble Benefit Concert occurs every September, according to Ronnau.

The concert, featuring the Amitie Ensemble, will be held at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church located in downtown Palo Alto to raise money for FBCI.

“Our programs are always happening at the Future Brain Cancer Institute,” Warshaw said. “We always need our community support and people to help support the cause.”