Paly boys' tennis wins first league match against Monta Vista

"We won a league match!" sophomore Kushal Tantry yelled, after winning his varsity one singles tennis game against Monta Vista on Tuesday, April 24. Tantry gave Paly the fourth win of seven matches, securing Paly’s first league win at their last game.

Earlier in the season, Paly boys’ tennis team lost to Monta Vista, 2-5. Before the game on Tuesday, their league record was 0-10. However, Paly turned the games around by defeating Monta Vista, 5-2. The only two losses came from No. 4 singles, sophomore Alec Mill, and No. 2 doubles, seniors David Liang and Andy Spangler. Mill lost 3-6, 0-6, while Liang and Spangler lost 4-6, 6-7 (7-9 in the tiebreaker).

To spectators, it might have looked like a lucky win against high-ranked Monta Vista. However, head coach Andy Harader thinks differently.

"We won the third setters today," Harader said. "That’s the difference."

During this season, Paly has lost many games due to losing third sets. In a tennis game, a third set is played if the players "split set," meaning they both each won one set earlier in the game. The winner of the third set would win the match. The second time Paly played Monta Vista, Paly either won in two sets, or won the third set.

Tantry defeated Monta Vista’s Vishnu Parthasarthy in two sets, 6-4 and 6-2. Spectators could see frustration from Parthasarthy, as he slammed his racquet to the ground after losing a game in the second set. Tantry, on the other hand, was enthusiastic throughout the entire game. After winning a game that put him up 3-1, Tantry pumped his fists in the air and yelled, "Let’s go!"

At No. 3 singles, freshman Dan Schwartz easily defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-4. According to Schwartz, he is normally one of the last players to finish. However, Schwartz was the first to finish against Monta Vista. Schwartz said that he normally goes into third sets, but was able to hold off a third set against Monta Vista.

This game was sophomore David Plotkin’s first game at home since his recovery from injury. Plotkin played No. 3 doubles with junior Jason Mah. Plotkin and Mah lost the first set 1-6, but were able to win the second set 6-4, going into a third set. Plotkin and Mah were able to hold off Monta Vista, winning the third set, 7-5.

"I feel good," Plotkin said after winning his game. "I feel pumped up, and I think the team feels the same way."

Although the boys’ tennis season is officially over, Harader feels ecstatic about winning their last game of the season.

"This [win] is a great end to a rebuilding year," Harader said. "And, it’s a great start to a new year."

According to Harader, this season was hard for Paly because the team is fairly young. There are three freshmen, three sophomores, and only two graduating seniors on varsity. Paly is in Division I, one of the toughest leagues in Northern California. According to Harader, three players from the Division I league made it to quarterfinals at nationals. However, because the team is so young, Paly hopes to gain experience through the future years and become a better team.