Boys track exhibits improvements despite loss to Los Gatos

The Varsity boys’ track team no longer has a perfect record after a loss to Los Gatos on Thursday, April 6. The Wildcats beat the Vikings 77 to 50.

According to Coach Paul Jones, Los Gatos is one of the best teams in the Central Coast Section (CCS). Los Gatos is 5-0 in league standings, and Paly is now 3-1.

Despite the loss, the Vikings displayed good efforts and performances all around.

Sophomore Mohammed Abid won the 400 in 54:9, after a Los Gatos runner leaned too far forward toward the finish line, and fell, giving up the lead five feet short of the finish. Junior Sam Margevicius won the 110 high hurdles in 16:6 as well as the 300 hurdles in 44:3. Mike Scott won the triple jump, with a jump of 41’0”, and the 4 by 4 relay anchored by Willie Xiang won, clocking a time of 3:45.

Paly athletes had personal records in many events. Senior Sven Jensen placed second in the 110 high hurdles with a huge PR of 16.9. Sophomore Robert Miller PR’ed and finished third in the 800 with a time of 2:04. Junior Fred Koloto had PR’s in both the discus and the shotput, but lost for his first time in a dual meet all year, finishing fourth in both events. Los Gatos has three of the top ten throwers in CCS, and according to distance coach Jeff Billing, it was cool to see him step up and throw his best against superior opponents.

Running does not necessarily strike anyone as a particularly strategic and thoughtful sport, however, the boys 1600 Thursday proved otherwise.

The boys went into the meet well aware of their tough competition, and the distance team devised strategy to try to win. Billing knew that the Viking’s main competition would come from junior Matthew Petrillo, a state-ranked miler. In the 1600, senior Zander Macquitty was instructed to run the race as if it were only a 1200. The hope was that Petrillo would follow Macquitty’s break neck speed, and if he did not burn out in the 1600, he at least would be worn out for the two-mile afterwards, where Himmelberger might be able to beat him. Leading the pack, Macquitty succeeded in pulling him away. The last lap Maquitty dropped off, unable to maintain the pace, yet Petrillo, afraid that Macquitty was on his back, started sprinting the last 400. Petrillo ended up winning both the mile and the two-mile, however Himmelberger was able to PR in the mile anyway.

The Vikings look forward to competing against Gunn next Thursday. Gunn is tied with Paly for second in league standings.