Music Teachers’ Scholarship Concert raises $2500 for student scholarships

Trumpets sounded, cymbols crashed and flutes whistled as parents and children alike watched and listened in awe to the Palo Alto Unified School District music teachers show off their musical talent at the 15th annual Music Teachers’ Scholarship Concert at Gunn High School’s Spangenberg auditorium, Saturday.

Roughly 20 music teachers and 20 art teachers participated, including Paly’s band directors Jeff Wilner and Darin Ishimatsu.

New to the event this year, an art show of work by the district’s art teachers accompanied the concert. All of the art displayed was for sale, and the proceeds also went to funding scholarships.

"People knew what to expect from the music portion, but had no idea what the art show would be," Smith said. "I heard many positive comments from people looking at the artwork."

The concert’s proceeds go directly to fund music scholarships for elementary, middle and high school students in the district. According to PAUSD music secretary Phyllis Smith, this year’s event raised approximately $2500 and will fund 20 scholarships.

"The MTSC was started as an idea from some music teachers as a way of giving back to students for their hard work in class," Smith said.

Students must audition to receive a scholarship. The scholarships will pay for music camps, workshops and lessons.

PAUSD music-coordinator Nancy Coffey emceed the concert, explaining that, typically, 100 students audition for the 15 to 20 scholarships available.

To be eligible for an audition, a student must be a part of a PAUSD performing ensemble and audition with the instrument that he/she plays in school. Students in the General Music class, primarily first through fourth graders, may audition with any instrument they prefer.

Prior to the concert, the art show was displayed inside the auditorium lobby. Displayed art at the show included a sculpture, "Spirit Totem 47", by Jordan Middle School art teacher Paul Gralen, a watercolor, "The Watering Can" by Escondido’s Shirly McKelvey, and a blown glass piece, "Expressions" by Paly’s David Camner.

The concert consisted of seven pieces, including a clarinet solo performed by Coffey. A slide show of work by PAUSD art-coordinator and former high school art teacher Sharon Ferguson accompanied Coffey’s performance.

Other pieces included a flute trio performed by Jordan’s Vivian Boudreaux, Terman’s Lisa Lawrence, and Paly’s Darin Ishimatsu.

For the concert’s grand finale, a 30-piece band, made up of past scholarship winners and PAUSD music teachers, played an exciting and thrilling rendition of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, under the direction of Don Adams, a PAUSD elementary school music instructor.

In addition to the concert, General Music teacher B.J. Floersheim honored fourth graders Ella Finley and Spencer Subega for their art design of the concert’s program and flyers.

For Paly’s band director Jeff Wilner, this year’s concert marked his fifth year of participation in the event. According to Wilner, high school student participation in the scholarship auditions is typically low, compared to that of elementary and middle school students. Since students are only permitted to win the scholarship once, the number of students eligible for an audition decreases as they get older.

"It was really fun to be able to play with the other music teachers in the district," Darin Ishimatsu said, who attended his first Music Teachers’ Scholarship Concert this year.

Overall, raising $2500 for scholarships and adding an art component to the music made the event a huge success.

"We definitely plan on doing a combined show again," Smith said. "The two mediums support and compliment each other."