“Love Songs in Traffic” premiers March 17 in the Haymarket Theatre

“Love Songs in Traffic,” a musical written by Paly’s own choir teacher, Michael Najar, will make its debut on stage this Friday, March 17 at 8 p.m. in the Haymarket Theater.

Student tickets are $5 and adults are $10. On Friday there will be an opening night gala for $20, which includes a dancing and desert party after the show. Although introducing a new musical to the public can be difficult, neither cast members nor staff members seem to be worried.

“A new play is always challenging,” Paly theater teacher Kristen Lo said. “But this experience has been so rewarding.”

The musical is about the trauma of dividing a community with a highway and is based on events Najar experienced while living in southern California years ago.

“The play is interesting because it raises the question of who has the power to decide which family deserves to stay and which must move,” Lo said. “The play talks about finding a resolution between two groups that are both bound to get hurt in the process.”

The play addresses these serious issues in a light, humorous manner, using satire and poking fun at stereotypes.

“It’s a very fun musical,” stage manager sophomore Alex Rose-Henig said. “The audience is really a part of the production.”

The musical contains 17 original songs, the standard of any professional musical, all written by Najar.

“A song I particularly enjoy is the spiritual gospel song,” Najar said. “It really showcases the singers as well as being a real crowd-pleaser.”

Najar is not the only production member who enjoys it.

“The songs were a lot of fun for the cast to sing,” cast member freshman Emma Steuer said. “It’s pretty impressive for a first time writer; I know how hard writing songs can be.”

As with any production, massive amounts of work and cooperation from everyone involved are necessary to ensure the play’s success. “Love Songs in Traffic” must continually evolve and change throughout the process, even well into opening week.

“Everyone on all sides has to be mature and know that things are going to change,” Henig said. “As a cast and crew, we worked really well together.”

Hard work can often overshadow the true purpose of the play: to be enjoyed.

“I haven’t quite had a chance to enjoy it yet,” Najar said. “The magnitude of this will probably kick in opening night.”

“The process may have been bumpier than most but this production is really wonderful and I am proud to be a part of it,” cast member senior Jonathan Morag said. “I hope this musical will continue on at Paly as well as other places. This play is worth fighting for.”

"Love Songs in Traffic" will be performed on March 17-18 and March 23-25 at 8 p.m. and on March 22 at 4 p.m. For information call 650-329-3857.