Eighth annual Pops Concert rings a note in the Palo Alto community

Members of the Paly community can now show off their new swing dance moves after attending this year’s eighth annual Pops Concert and Swing Dance on Friday, March 10, in the large gym.

More than 400 people attended the event, compared to 365 last year, according to volunteer coordinator and past Music Boosters president Sarah Epstein.

"It’s packed," Paly orchestra member junior Ben Richard said during the event. "It’s wonderful."

Senior Symphonic Band member and five-year Pops Concert attendee Kathy Nolan agreed.

"I think that it has been growing every year," Nolan said. "This year’s [turnout is] bigger than last year’s."

Five years ago, when Nolan first attended a Paly Pops Concert, Paly Music Boosters sold only about 125 tickets, according to Epstein.

This festive environment and large crowd was conductive to learning swing, according to junior Symphonic Band member Chrissy Hu.

"It’s a good place for you to learn how to swing dance because there’s such a big crowd that you don’t get embarrassed," Hu said.

To kick off the evening, Paly’s orchestra and symphonic and concert bands performed, followed by a buffet dinner, swing dance instruction from Barry Woodruff, and then dancing to the Paly Jazz Band.

The concert band’s performance of "Jump Swing Fever" by John Wasson set the mood for the evening, while the symphonic band’s performance of "Jurassic Park Soundtrack Highlights" arranged by Paul Lavender concluded the concert with rich, full sounds ringing throughout the gym.

Audience members sat scattered throughout the bleachers and around tables decorated with green and white "Paly Music" balloons. Dressed for the occasion, many ladies donned skirts, dresses, or dance shoes, while some of the men opted for suit coats, ties, and even suspenders.

Additions to this year’s concert included Paly senior vocalist Mary Hewlett performing a solo with the Paly Jazz Band. Also included were members of Paly’s swing dance club and the "Be A Star" donation program, a new fundraising opportunity for Paly Music Boosters.

To cut down on the overall event cost, many local businesses and individuals donated or offered reduced prices for food. The Fish Market, for example, donated salad for 500, while the Peninsula Creamery Fountain and Grill donated 300 cookies, according to current Paly Music Boosters president Suzanne Chesson.

"It’s a combination of cost reduction and outright donation," Chesson said, regarding food arrangements.

"I think that it’s a good deal for the five dollars [for students]," Hu said referring to the value of the swing dance and concert ticket price, which included dinner.

All in all, Palo Alto High School band and orchestra director Jeff Willner described the concert as "a roaring success" and said that those who attended had a good time.

"People who come enjoy it," Willner said. "If you come, then you’ll definitely have a good time."