Rebuilding season for Paly boys' tennis

After the loss of seven strong players from last year, the Paly boys’ tennis team foresee this season as a rebuilding season.

Although their record is currently 5-2, the Vikings have only played one league match this season, against Los Altos, whom they lost to, 0-7. Paly, in the Division I league, plays some of the best teams in Northern California, including Saratoga and Monta Vista.

"We’ll be in the bottom half [of the league]," head coach Andy
Harader said. "But we hope to do well."

Harader believes that this year is the training season for the team. After losing seven strong players last year, the team is young. There are currently three freshmen on varsity, and sophomore Kushal Tantry, is at No. 1 singles.

"They [the freshmen] are pretty good, but it’s their first year," Harader said.

Against non-league opponents, Harader’s words hardly seem to be true.

Playing with strong wind, Paly crushed non-league opponent Mills on Wednesday, March 8, with an overall score of 6-1, winning all of their matches with the exception of No. 4 singles, played by freshman Dan Schwartz. Schwartz beat his opponent 6-2 in the first set, but lost 4-6 in the second set and then 7-10 in tiebreak.

The three Paly doubles team defeated Mills with ease. No. 1 doubles, played by Kyle Shulman and Matt Severson, finished their game first, winning with a score of 6-0, 6-0. No. 2 and 3 doubles soon followed, winning 6-3, 6-1 and 6-0, 6-0, respectively.

Tantry, beat Mills player John Paplos 6-2, 6-3. Tantry has won all
but one of his games this season.

"I could have played better," Tantry said. "It took me too long [to win]."

Last weekend, Paly won the Central California Championships tournament at Fresno. The team played in Division I G-8, and after winning improved their record to 4-1.

Making this season harder for Paly, was the loss of sophomore David Plotkin. Plotkin, who played at No. 4 singles before the tournament, broke his left foot during a match. According to Plotkin, his opponent hit a shot in which he had to change the direction he was running in. Plotkin put all his weight on his left foot, causing his bone to break. Plotkin will be out for the rest of the season.

"We might have to bring someone up from JV," Harader said.

JV has played only one game this season against Los Altos, losing 1-6. Paly’s next home game is at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 14, against Lynbrook.