Coach looks to usher in new era of Paly Baseball

After a disappointing first round loss to Half Moon Bay in the CCS playoffs last year, the Paly baseball team looks towards a fresh start after hiring former two-time state Division III champion coach Joel Kaufman.

Kaufman hails from the Oakland private school of Bishop O’Dowd, which won five league titles in the powerful Hayward Area Athletic League during the seven years Kaufman had coached there in the powerful Hayward Area Athletic League.

"People ask me why I came to Paly," Kaufman said. "I wanted a fresh start, and I like the new challenge that is before me."

Kaufman completely revamped the baseball facilities with the building a new bullpen, batting cage and even a sound system.

"I had the guys themselves build the batting cage," Kaufman said. "That way, if someone trashes it, they’ll feel like it was a sacrilegious act."

The Vikings lost catcher Nathan Ford and shortstop Matt Wisman to graduation last year.

The two captains that have been selected so far include senior shortstop Jon Koepfgen and senior pitcher Andrew White.

"Our main goals it to make CCS and win league," Koepfgen said.

In order to accomplish this goal, the Vikings face stiff competition from Los Gatos and Wilcox in the De Anza Division.

"If we want to win, we need to play solid defense, put the ball in play, and not give up extra base hits," Kaufman said.

The top pitchers are senior Andrew White and Alex Schmarzo. Junior outfielder Evan Warner will be the leadoff hitter with his blistering speed, and junior first baseman and designated hitter Will Elmore will fill in the cleanup spot.

In addition, two underclassmen have made the cut, which include freshman phenomenon second baseman Steven Burke and sophomore catcher Peter Abrams.

"My main goal is to just improve my batting and keep with the varsity atmosphere," Burke said.

The Vikings’ first league game is at Wilcox at 3:30 p.m. on March 10.

"If we work and play hard, we can do a lot," Schmarzo said.