Vikings complete perfect league season on Senior Night

Not one of the Viking seniors had ever lost a league home game, and they were not about to break that streak Friday against Mountain View.

The Vikings (25-1, 12-0) vanquished the Spartans 64-39. The Spartans (9-17, 2-10) will likely fall down a division next season while the Vikings will enter the playoffs on a 17 game winning streak.

On Senior Night, the six seniors were honored in a pre-game presentation in front of packed gym. Even though the six were playing their final regular season game at home, the Vikings now enter the Central Coast Section playoffs where they are likely to have at least one game at home. For head coach Peter Diepenbrock, the game was just another on the road to the ultimate goal — a state championship.

“We need to make sure that we’re sharp for playoffs,” Diepenbrock said. “But I’m sure there are some extra emotions for the seniors.”

The general consensus of the seniors agreed with the coach. Senior forward Cooper Miller, who has played on varsity since his sophomore year, felt the whole event was a little overwhelming.

“I think the emotions won’t come out until after the playoffs,” Miller said.

For senior forward Kheaton Scott, the game had much more meaning because he did not play very much last year.

“It’s exciting but sad as well," Scott said. "It’s definitely easier knowing we’ve made CCS."

Right from the start, the Vikings made it clear who was the superior team. Their relentless defense held the Spartans to just 6 points in the first quarter.

Senior guard Brad Lehman scored 12 of the Vikings’ 21 first quarter points on four three-pointers. In the second quarter, senior leader Jeremy Lin took over, scoring eight points on four fast break lay-ups. After the game, Lehman talked about the team’s offense.

“Shots just come to anyone and we knock them down,” Lehman said. “Someone always steps up to help us win.”

In the first half, the two teams went on a three-point barrage. The Vikings shot 7-15 from three-point range, and the Spartans, who live and die by the three-pointer, were ice cold shooting 4-17 from beyond the arc. The two teams attempted more three-pointers than two-pointers.

The Spartans are led by star senior Terence Willis, who averages 18 points per game and scored 20 on the Vikings during Mountain View’s 42-57 loss on Jan. 11. The Viking defense frustrated Willis all night, limiting him to just 3 points in the first half.

In the third quarter, Paly padded their 41-19 halftime lead by hitting four more three-pointers. The Spartans managed only five points, and by the fourth quarter, Diepenbrock pulled his starters in favor of his younger, less experienced bench. The fourth quarter allowed the Spartans to mount a small comeback, but the 56-24 third quarter lead was too much to overcome and the Spartans fell short by 25 points.

The Vikings shot 42 percent, but made 11 of 25 three-pointers. The Spartans shot under 30 percent and only 7-27 from beyond the arc. Willis finished with 12 points, but Paly’s defense caused havoc all night long.

Senior Steven Brown, like Lehman, hit four three-pointers and finished with 12 points. Lin finished with 13 points, six rebounds, and four assists. Miller did his job defending Willis and added four points and six rebounds. Sixth man Kevin Trimble pulled down nine rebounds and Scott added seven rebounds despite being in foul trouble. Proving the seniors are not the only scorers, junior guard Adam Wandell had seven points and three assists on the heels of a career-high 14 points in the previous game against Fremont.

After the buzzer, the seniors could enjoy their bittersweet victory. Lin, who has also played on varsity since his sophomore year, understood that the season is not over.

“It’s definitely emotional that it is coming to an end,” Lin said. “Now we have playoffs, and that’s what it all about.”

As the season draws near its end, the seniors certainly have some fond memories of this and previous seasons.

“The fans have been great this year, and it’s been a lot of fun with these seniors,” Trimble said.

“I’ll always remember the atmosphere, especially at the Gunn games,” Lehman said.

“Just hanging out with the guys and being on such a close knit and good team,” Brown said.

After reaching the Nor Cal finals last year, this year’s Vikings had a tough act to follow. So far, the 2005-2006 Vikings have equaled last year’s squad game for game. With six talented and determined seniors leading the way, the Vikings feel they have an excellent chance of reaching the state championship.

One season is now over and another begins. The playoff schedule has yet to be determined, but one thing is for sure. The Vikings’ 12-0 league record means nothing in playoffs. Each team starts out 0-0 and the drama begins all over again.