Paly lockers burglarized

Over forty students will be receiving new locks and filling out lost property reports due to their lockers being broken into and stolen from, presumably on Wednesday night.

The cage that is intended to keep the lockers safe overnight had also been broken into. The culprits presumably used some form of bolt cutter, as many severed combination locks were found scattered on the ground below the burglarized lockers.

Daytime Paly custodian Rosa Rodriguez discovered the burglary Thursday morning. Paly’s supervising custodian, Hok Ky, was the second to be informed of the incident.

“We noticed that many locks had been cut off and the lockers were open so we immediately reported it to Assistant Principal [Chuck] Merritt,” Ky said.

Upon being informed of the situation, Merritt printed flyers to be posted on the lockers in question. These flyers instructed students whose lockers had been affected to go to the auditor for a new lock, fill out a lost property report in the main office, and to not leave valuables in the lockers overnight in the future.

According to Merritt, the administration currently has no leads.

“We’re hoping we might be able to catch the culprits after all of the lost property reports have been made,” Merritt said. “We’re in the collecting information stage but we haven’t made a police report yet because we don’t currently have any evidence to turn over.”

This crime seemed to be solely a burglary. No graffiti or intentional defacement was found on the lockers but, according to Merritt, many valuables have already been reported missing by students.

When Merritt feels that there is enough information to make a report, the administration will inform School Resource officers Detective Kratt and Detective Vilaescusa, and they will investigate the matter further.