Avenging Lady Vikes skin Wildcats, 60-30

Paly’s girls’ basketball squad thoroughly drubbed Los Gatos during a Tuesday game at home, redeeming their previous 42-43 loss to the Wildcats on Jan. 17. The Vikings (21-3, 8-1 league) are currently tied with Wilcox for first place in the De Anza league.

"[For] today’s game … we were focused, we were energetic and we came out there ready to fight," senior guard Bre Clay said.

The Vikings concentrated on breaking through Los Gatos’ defense while maintaining aggressive defensive play themselves. Paly gathered at least 11 points per quarter, while limiting the Wildcats to single digits in each period.

"We watched the team [Los Gatos] on video, so we broke down their defense," freshman guard Kiley McDermott said. "And we specially created a play to break it [their defense] down even more and worked around it. It [the play] worked and we executed it nicely."

Paly scored the first basket of the game, then Los Gatos (10-13, 3-6 league) led by two until senior Paly guard Melody Gaal tied it up at four points at 5:37, and the Vikings never looked back. Fourteen points from Paly later, sophomore Los Gatos guard Chelsea Ryan nailed a three-pointer, and the period ended 18-7 with the Vikings leading.

The second quarter was similarly depressing for Wildcat fans as Paly continued to dominate, scoring a quick 12 points before swapping baskets for the last two minutes or so. Paly finished the half well in the lead, 33-13.

"We really rotated the ball and got everyone nice open shots and worked as a team," McDermott said.

Although comfortably ahead, the Vikings maintained their energy going into the third quarter, beginning with a rim-circling basket by senior point guard Ranecia Fields in the first minute. Paly kept up the momentum with two baskets and a free throw from Gaal and a field goal and free throw from freshman Rachael Pecota. With three field goals, senior guard Jane Griffin scored the most Paly points of the quarter.

"She [Griffin] played a really good game," Paly parent and scorekeeper Karan Barich said. "She was aggressive on defense and she made some baskets."

The Vikings closed the third period 49-21. Going into the fourth quarter with a 28-point lead, head Paly coach Scott Peters was able to retire his usual starters and allow substantial playing time for each team member. The Vikes stepped up and managed 11 points to trump Los Gatos’ game-high of 9.

Senior forward Lola Wusu made Paly’s first basket that quarter by rebounding a free throw by Griffin. After Los Gatos responded with a three-pointer and a field goal, Paly senior guard Inez Feltscher let loose a calm, smooth three-point shot of her own from the top of the key.

Sophomore Viking forward Nicole Behr swished a pair of free throws before a Wildcat scored the team’s last basket of the evening with approximately two minutes remaining. McDermott then stole off with the ball from half court to complete a layup, and scored 44 seconds later to bring the final score to 60-30 in Paly’s favor.

"We controlled the ball," Peters said. "We didn’t throw it around like a hot potato."

The Vikings are excited for Friday’s quad night rematch against cross-town rival Gunn, who will host. Varsity girls play at 6:15 p.m., followed by varsity boys at 7:45 p.m.