Boys' soccer misses golden opportunities in 0-0 tie with Santa Clara

The Paly varsity boys’ soccer team could not capitalize on scoring opportunities, mustering a 0-0 tie with Santa Clara on Jan. 27 at home.

Things got of to a shaky start for the Vikings when senior forward Erik Wardenburg was temporarily sidelined after a referee determined his wrist guard a danger. After removing the metal part of his wrist guard and securing it with tape, Wardenburg returned to action.

"This is just ridiculous," said head coach Don Briggs. "He’s worn it the entire season, and the referees have never had a problem with it."

Paly athletic trainer Stacey Kofman said, "Once a referee makes a decision, there’s no point in arguing with it."

Led by speedy senior forward Manuel Henriquez, Paly opened up many scoring opportunities. One such chance included junior midfielder Peter Bianchi driving a laser into the seemingly open left-upper corner of the goal, but Santa Clara senior goalkeeper Gonzo Acevedo made a brilliant leaping catch to rob him of goal.

"We had a lot of opportunities, but they had very good defense as well," Henrqiuez said.

It was no different in the second half, with Paly missing two direct kicks taken by Henriquez and senior sweeper Shane Clark.

Santa Clara had only a few chances to score, one of them being when sophomore midfielder Danjel Duckeag launched a shot over Paly senior goalkeeper Tommy Brown’s head. Fortunately for the Vikings, the shot went over the upper crossbar and out of play.

"Our defense held up well and gave our offense a lot of opportunities," junior defender Roy Williams said.

The Vikings are now 4-2-3 in league play, 6-5-5 overall, and next faces Monta Vista at 3:30 p.m., Jan. 31, at Paly.