Track team runs by new coaches

After a turnout of nearly 200 people for the 2005 track team last year, Paly anticipated an equally large turnout this season for the 2006 team and fixed itself with seven new coaches to accompany the six coaches returning. The new coaches feature four Paly graduates and a former United States Olympian.

“We are very excited about the quality and quantity of our staff and about the talent we have on the team this year. We are sure that with more individual attention, our experienced athletes will improve in both skills and knowledge of the sport,” head track coach Paul Jones said.

The four former Paly graduates joining the coaching staff include Joe Ginanni, Julia Lee, Keri Gordon and John Hsieh.

Ginanni will be coaching the “mid-distance” group of runners, comprised primarily of those competing in the 400 and 800-meter events (equivalent to quarter and half-mile event). Ginanni currently teaches at Jordan and Terman Middle Schools. He coached the Jordan cross-country team in the fall, and he himself ran in college as well.

Lee helped coach the girl’s cross-country team that made it to the state championships this year, but has not yet coached Paly track. As the coach of the Lady Viking distance runners, Lee will continue to coach many of the same girls. During her time at Paly, Lee qualified for the state meet, and she continued her running while at UC San Diego.

Gordon will accompany Lee in coaching the women’s distance team. As another state cross-country meet qualifier, Gordon has a lot of experience successfully running the events that she will be coaching.

Joining Lee and Gordon as a distance runner will be Krishna, who will be coaching the men’s distance team. Krishna did not attend Paly, but helped coach cross-country last fall. Krishna ran for the Pomona/Pitzer team in college, and recently graduated from Pomona College in Southern California.

Hsieh is currently enrolled as a student at MIT, but is taking a semester off to coach the Paly track team. He will be coaching the sprinters alongside head coach Jason Fung.

The other two new coaches, both with exceptional abilities, are also very important additions to the staff. The new high-jump coach, Sue Rembao, was a 1992 U.S. Olympian in high-jump, and has jumped a soaring six feet five inches. Rembao is also the wife of Stanford track coach John Rembao.

Sara McCloskey will be coaching the hurdles team this year alongside head coach Paul Jones, replacing former coach Bruce Hori who now coaches the Gunn team. McCloskey placed second as a high school junior in the Colorado High School Track Championships. McCloskey hopes to share her success in the sport with the Paly team and is very enthusiastic about the new season.

“I am hoping my excitement for the season will rub off on the team,” she said. “My goal for the team this year is for each team member to meet their own goals, to enjoy themselves, to gain a real love for track as a sport and to be successful.”

The seven new coaches are in good company with returning coaches Jeff Billing, Joe Park, Liz Brimhall, Chris Berg, Jason Fung and Paul Jones. Jones has been coaching track at Paly since 1977, when the team was only in its second year of existence. Currently in his 30th season coaching the team, he still loves and admires the sport.

“I enjoy coaching track because individual’s hard work really pays off in team results," Jones said. "Athletes who are willing to put in the effort can see improvement no matter what level they begin at."

Math teacher, cross-country coach and track distance team coach Jeff Billing shares this enthusiasm about this year’s team.

“I hope that many of the athletes will enjoy their high school career, go on to run in college and hopefully continue with this healthy lifestyle for a long time," Billing said. "And if we set some school records along the way… well, that’s even better!”

This year’s track team can look forward to passionate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic coaches to help guide them through their season. Featuring an impressive staff of thirteen coaches, seven of whom are in their 20’s, the energy of the coaches should make for a successful season.

“The combination of veteran coaching expertise with the youthful vigor we’re hoping will inspire and train the athletes to their peak performance,” Billing said.