Breaking: Nguyen wins first ‘Jeopardy!’ game, offers campus shout-out

Maxwell Zhang, Senior Staff Writer

Palo Alto High School math teacher Daniel Nguyen wins on his first appearance on ‘Jeopardy!’ Nguyen wagered $5,801 on his ‘Final Jeopardy!’ answer of the popular Paly chant “What is Sko Vikes?” in response to the question: “An Italian word for ‘Mercy,’ but also the name of a movie character who kills Stracci and Carlo.” Nguyen’s next ‘Jeopardy!’ episode will air Thursday afternoon. (Photo: Sony Pictures Television)

A Palo Alto High School math teacher is $7,199 richer today after winning his first ‘Jeopardy!’ game and adding a surprise shout-out to his school in the final moments of the show.

In the ‘Final Jeopardy!’ round, teacher Daniel Nguyen wagered $5,801 on his answer— which he knew could not possibly be right— of the popular Paly chant “What is Sko Vikes?” in response to the prompt of “An Italian word for ‘Mercy,’ but also the name of a movie character who kills Stracci and Carlo.”

Nguyen competed against returning champion and children’s book editor Mallory Kass and wine import manager Micaela Tuttle, where of 20 questions he answered, he answered 17 correctly. Nguyen was up a total of $13,000— including $3,000 from a daily double— before the painful ‘Final Jeopardy!’ round.

Nguyen will host a ‘Jeopardy!’ watch party Thursday during lunch in the Paly Media Arts Center. All faculty and students are welcome to watch.