Paly bands and orchestra to perform in winter concert

The Paly bands and orchestra will be performing in a winter music concert at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 8 at the Haymarket Theatre.

The concert will include all of Paly’s music groups: Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble and Orchestra. There have been many concerts this year, but this is the first time all of the Paly musical groups have joined together to perform.

“Each group is performing at an amazingly high level at this point in the year,” band director Jeff Willner said. “We are truly fortunate as a school to have such talented and polished groups.”

The Concert Band will perform two pieces, “Russian Sailor’s Dance” and “Phantom of the Opera.” The Symphonic Band will play “Second Suite for Military Band” by Gustav Holst and “Black Horse Troop” by John Philip Sousa.

“‘Black Horse Troop’ is pretty annoying,” clarinet player junior Roy Luo, from Symphonic Band, said. “There’s a bunch of repeats, and there are [almost] no rests in the entire song.”

Luo added that there are “ridiculously high notes” throughout the song.

“I like [“Second Suite for Military Band”], though,” Luo said. “Holst is pretty cool.”

Jazz Band will be performing “Hayburner” and “On the Street Where You Live,” while the Jazz Ensemble will play “Every Little Beat Helps” and “Lil Darlin’.” Orchestra will be performing “Mock Morris” by Grainger, “Les Deluge” by Saint-Saens and Mozart’s "Divertimento in C."

“I think we’re going to do really well if we focus and concentrate at keeping [the] beat and staying together,” sophomore Gaelyn Ong, from orchestra, said.

“[The songs] are really fun if they’re [played] ‘together,’” Ong said.

The concert is free to all, and it will last approximately one and a half hours.

“You may go [to the concert] planning to hear lackluster high school music,” Willner said. “But, you will definitely come out having had a very good time.”