Don't blow it! Paly's glass works on sale

“Glass Sale” signs have popped up all over Palo Alto High School with arrows all pointing in the direction of the woodshop which houses a gallery full of sparkling glass sculptures.

This year’s goal for the Holiday Glass Sale is to raise ten thousand dollars, half of the amount needed to support Paly’s glass program. Last year, the sale raised only six thousand dollars.

Glass pieces such as pumpkins, vases, flowers, and fruits will be sold. Professionals glassblowers Morigue Tse, Anthony Alfaro and Jonathan Tepperman also contributed works to be sold to help raise money for the glass program. Prices will range from 10 dollars to several hundred.

The money from the sale will be used to replenish the raw and colored glass supplies. It will also contribute to new equipment and the expensive bronze casting for the advanced sculpture classes at Paly.

“I have two advanced sculpture classes now as opposed to one,” ceramics teacher, David Camner said.

The number of interested students in glassblowing has now grown to the extent that students need to rotate for turns. There are currently about thirty-five students in the glass program, but few with any experience. However, because of space and equipment limits, only four students can work at a time.

Unlike last year’s glass sale, the gallery will be shown in the woodshop. Upon entering campus from Churchill Ave. and Castilleja Ave., viewers can follow the signs to the event.

The sale will be held betweeen 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18 and from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 20. Individuals who miss the holiday sale can look forward to another glass sale in spring.

Professionals will be around during the sale to show demos and answer questions.

Only checks or cash will be accepted for purchasing glass items.

Students and adults who are interested in joining the glass program may sign up for the weekend workshops at Paly. Although they are full through January, sign-ups are still available for Feb. 4-5, March 11-12, April 22-23, May 6-7 and June 3-4 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. each day. The workshops will be held behind the Paly woodshop in Room 900 on the Churchill side of campus.

For more details, call David Camner at (650) 833-4211 or (831) 688-4483 or email him at [email protected].