Choir concert showcases new year’s talent

Low hums resonate through Haymarket Theater as Paly’s Concert Choir files in singing "Wana Baraka" for the opening of Paly’s fall choir concert, "Bach to Spirituals".

Paly’s six choral groups showcased what they have learned so far this school year last Sunday, Oct. 30. Choir teacher Michael Najar counts this concert as a success.

"I measure the success of a concert not from the audience reaction but student learning, because at the end of the day, this is a school," Najar said. "I think fall concerts are hard to put together because we are still learning how to sing well as a choir."

Senior Danya Taymor said, "Concerts definitely [help with the learning process], performing songs gives you more confidence and knowledge of how to improve pieces."

Senior Sarah Ferguson sees performing as a way to receive feedback on pieces and get through an entire song, for a change.

"They give us a chance to hear people’s responses to our music, and let us run the music in an environment where Mr. Najar can’t stop us at any point to fine tune a part of the song," Ferguson said. "They are a good test of our ability."

The groups performed a variety of songs ranging from Kenyon Spirituals ("Wana Baraka"), to U2 ("MLK"), to Renaissance tunes ("Fair Phyllis I Saw").

"I give them some of the most difficult literature there is, for any choir," Najar said. "If there is one critique of the music I choose, it is that I am ambitious."

Ferguson and Taymor agree that the most difficult piece in their repertoire this year is "Motet VI: Lobet den Herrn Alleluia," by Bach.

"It is very rhythmic with complicated lines," Taymor said.

Ferguson said, "[The piece] has to move constantly, have good phrasing, and move quickly. It is very strenuous and tiring."

Each of Paly’s choral groups is very different, and that comes through in their music. Concert Choir has 35 members who sing in eight-part harmony, while self formed a cappella group, The Heartbeats, has only 5 members and sings more "doo-wop" songs.

"Each group does have its own personality, although it is hard to characterize them at this point in the year," Ferguson said. "They definitely develop throughout the year, and haven’t really gotten to be their true selves yet."

Ferguson, who belongs to Concert Choir, The Heartbeats, and the Renaissance style group Madrigals, explains the advantages to being in all three.

"Heartbeats is really fun because we are very self motivated, but Madrigals is just a completely different type of music, and Concert Choir you get to be a part of something so big,"
Ferguson said. "I can’t pick a favorite."

Overall, Najar is pleased with the talent and enthusiasm of his students this year.

"I am astounded by [the students’] dedication to music and singing," said Najar in his conductor’s note at the beginning of the concert’s program. "I am happy that we are at the beginning of this journey. There is so much more ahead."

The Paly choir plans on holding several more concerts throughout the year including the Madrigals dinner which will take place on Dec. 10. This night promises to be full of music, entertainment, and Renaissance food.