Paly loses in last regular season meet

The Paly girls’ tennis team lost an intense meet versus Los Altos on a windless day at home.

"In general all our home matches have been a great success," Paly junior Paula Yoffe said.

Going into the meet against Los Altos, the Vikings hoped that they could continue their success at home and complete their season with a win.

The No. 1 singles match between junior Chrissy Hu and Los Altos junior Ting Lu went by quickly. Lu was Los Altos’ No. 2 singles player, but since their No. 1 player was out, Lu had to step in.

Hu showed her dominance by beginning the match with a 3-0 lead. After only 15 minutes of play time, Hu took the first set, 6-0.

The second set was equally strong for Hu. She held a 4-1 lead only 20 minutes into the set. Hu won the set and match in less than an hour.

A more deciding match in the meet was the number one doubles match. Paly Seniors Meghan Przybyla and Allison Heinrich played a grueling match against the Los Altos
doubles team. Przybyla and Heinrich had a 5-4 lead in the first set, but Los Altos fought back and took a 6-5 lead over the duo. Los Altos won the next game, and took the set, 7-5.

At the beginning of the second set, Paly was down, 3-0, but Przbyla and Heinrich stuck together and were only losing 5-4 in the middle of the match. Paly’s efforts were smashed by Los Altos’ overhead, and the Vikings lost the set and match.

"This year is a tough year, but were competing," Los Altos head coach Coung Duong said. "This is one of the better leagues in California."

Los Altos went 7-9 in the regular season, making them equally matched with Paly. In this highly competitive league, this was one of the matches Paly should have won.

With the regular season over, the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League meet on Tuesday and Wednesday is next on Paly’s rigorous schedule.