Tango Flamenco thrills Stanford audience

Synchronized in every step, moving exactly to the beat of live musicians, Talent Danza Ballet Espanol dancers electrify the stage using a combination of traditional Flamenco and classical Spanish dance along with Argentinean Tango.

Dressed in black, the dancers twirl their arms in unison in an intense and fast paced rhythm led by guitarists and musicians using castanets on stage.

The Talent Danza Ballet Espanol Company in collaboration with musical groups Ensamble Nuevo Tango and Jarcamora performed in Tango Flamenco at the Memorial Auditorium on Friday, Oct. 7, at a single, sold-out show.

Directors Pascal Gaona and Antonio Najarro created Talent Danza Ballet Espanol and also co choreographed the gold medal winning ice dance performance at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

In addition to his role as the co-founder of the company, Najarro is a dancer in Tango Flamenco as well as the artistic director and choreographer. He has received numerous awards for his outstanding work including the VIII Certamen Coreografico de Danza Espanol y Flamenco de Madrid for choreography.

The company decided to collaborate flamenco, classical Spanish, and Argentinean dances when they merged with musical groups, Ensamble Nuevo Tango and Jarcamora.

The 90- minute performance was split into two acts: Alma flamenca and Alma portena.

The first act was comprised of two performances, by the whole company, in which men and women did synchronized routines, confronted each other, and then separated again. In one of the scenes, the women used large fans to emphasize their movements.

In addition to the full company routines, there were some solo performances, including a dance by Najarro. Following the pulsating beat from the musical performers, Najarro glided across the floor using a combination of tap dancing for the sharp quick movements and more of a lyrical dance for the slower, more somber melodies. Occasional Spanish words were spurted out in the background, growing in volume and expression as the dance became increasingly intense.

Isabel Sanchez also did a solo, using a long golden shawl to cover herself and spread across the stage, then finally put over her neck as a scarf as the music became faster and more passionate.

The musicians contributed enormously to the dancers’ choreography and even had one scene separate from the dancers. As the curtain rose, only a guitarist and woman sat next to each other on stage. The woman listened to the man’s music and soon began to sing in a morose, but hopeful tone. She then got up and danced nearby the guitarist, still singing in a strong voice, even beginning to cry toward the end.

The second act was surprisingly intense, with full company scenes where men swept women in shiny red dresses effortlessly across the stage.

Although the full company scenes were enchanting, Najarro’s duet with Raquel Lamadrid was astounding. Lamadrid had an exceedingly long dress on, using its excess fabric to cover herself but also tried to get rid of it. Najarro soon came on, dancing with her in passionate and sensual movements, and later rips off the dress, leaving her with a black one on underneath.

The performance ended with a fiery and fast-paced company act where the women danced while using castanets in harmony with the musicians. The beat seemed to permeate through their bodies, livening the audience with their adroitness and creative style.