Paly football shuts out Milpitas, 24-0, in Homecoming game

Fittingly finishing off Paly’s 2005 Spirit Week, the Paly varsity football team annihilated the Milpitas Trojans, 24-0.

Anticipation ran high as the rambunctious crowd anxiously waited for the game to begin.

""I think the football team is awesome," senior Spirit Commissioner Alex Snell said. "I’m satisfied with how many people showed up to the game."

For the special occasion, the halftime show consisted of the Paly Pep Band and a reprise of the seniors’ winning Spirit Dance.

"It’s exciting seeing the whole school come together," Paly senior Kelly Starnes said. "The people who are here have a lot of spirit."

Paly junior quarterback Nick Goodspeed opened up the scoring with a two-yard touchdown via a quarterback sneak in the first quarter and found Paly junior wide receiver Evan Warner in the second quarter for a 11-yard touchdown pass.

The Paly team suffered a scare when Paly junior running back Will Frazier came off the field limping before the first half drew to a close.

"It’s a high ankle sprain," Paly athletic trainer Stacey Kofman said. "He probably won’t be out for the rest of the season."

Just before the half ended, Paly senior kicker Manny Henriquez nailed a 32-yard field goal to bring the score to 17-0 in favor of the Vikings.

It was all downhill from there as Paly’s defense intercepted Milpitas senior quarterback Michael Almond two times, including a 11-yard return for a touchdown by Paly senior defensive back Cooper Miller.

"The whole team played well, but the defense really stepped it up," said Paly junior quarterback Nick Goodspeed. "[The defense] had been giving up a lot of big plays."

Both teams committed careless errors as Paly fumbled the ball on three punt returns, and Almond threw four interceptions. The Trojans also committed 132 yards in penalties.

"We definitely need to work on our special teams, especially our punt return unit," Paly assistant coach Steve Foug said.

The Vikings host Los Altos next Friday Oct. 14 at 7:30 p.m.