What next? The Paly Voice staff discusses the future of the blog

What purpose does “blogging” serve? That’s the question we at The Paly Voice have been struggling with as we try to promote a more blogger-friendly culture on the site. After much discussion in class on the subject, the Voice staff came up with a few ideas.

Today weblogs have morphed into an open forum for whomever has the time write. Whether a blogger chooses to voice his or her opinion about a current event, or simply to write a diary full of life-updates for friends to enjoy, blogging is an attainable form of communication to the outside world. “Blogging is exciting because it introduces you to a new point of view,” Voice junior Adam Heeger said.

While blogging isn’t a major influence in everyday life, it allows the public to have an unrestricted voice. Staff members senior Jim Shen and junior Miriam Yelton find the popular http://www.Xanga.com and http://www.Myspace.com as a refuge for their thoughts, respectively. With only a few restrictions regarding language, the weblogs are a forum for anything that enters the writers mind. The charm in blogging is that the writer is able to state his or her ideas and have the public respond to them. Blogging creates a feeling of importance.

The Voice staff recognizes the attractive nature of an uncensored forum; however, issues arise when there are no regulations. Currently, the voice censors profanity in its feedback. Could that be a loss of voice, or is profanity unnecessary? It is entirely possible that only by using strategically placed swear words can a writer convey the point of a story. Profanity is often used in poetry and songs in a way that is vital in order for a writer to express him or herself. Some readers might find the use of profanity offensive, but is that really why it needs to be censored?

Recently the Voice staff received a piece of feedback which contained a distasteful remark regarding the author of an article posted on the website. Although not libelous, should that then be censored because it hurts one of the staff? Where should the line be drawn between complete freedom and ultimate censorship?

Staff member junior Sarah Flamm argued that the feedback needed to be posted in its entirety or not all. Junior Carissa Caryotakis countered that the threat was unnecessary and insulting to the writer, and therefore should be censored, while the rest of the letter retained some merit and should be enabled.

There is a fine line between necessary censorship and the need for free speech. Who is to say where that line lies? The Voice staff did agree on one point, however; blogging allows for greater communication between ordinary people about issues that interest them. Voice staff member junior Colin Hwang mentioned that blogging creates a fast network of shared news and opinions that would otherwise be impossible to have. While there are a few printed newspapers with readers halfway around the world, the numbers are small. The Internet is a surer way for a discussion to be carried worldwide.

As a staff, the Voice hopes to improve its own blog. Staff member junior Jennifer Audet thinks that the blogs should be professional and relate to topics that interest students. Voice staff member sophomore Alex Dehnert suggested that we transform our staff blog into an available community blog. Whatever the staff chooses to do in the future, we intend to create a more accessible blog and to further cultivate the culture surrounding it.