Sacred Heart Prep Gators devour Lady Vikes tennis

The Paly girl’s tennis team lost to Sacred Heart Prep in a hot and grueling non-league match on Sept. 28.

The meet consisted of three singles matches and three doubles matches.

The spotlight shined on, Paly’s No. 1 singles player junior Chrissy Hu’s match against Sacred Heart Prep junior Sam Rosekrans. In the first 10 minutes of their match, Rosekrans took a dominating lead of three games to none. Later Rosekrans extended the lead to 5-0, and it seemed to be a blowout. However, Hu brought the match back to 5-4.

During the match, Paly head coach Andy Harader said, "Chrissy’s playing incredible."

Rosekrans lost her dominating footing, seen in the early games of the first set, and kept getting frustrated with herself.

"I cannot even see the ball," she said repeatedly during the match.

Rosekrans threw down her racket in frustration after double faulting in the first set.

Rosekrans eventually took the first set, 6-4, and during the break between sets, she appeared to be out of her slump. Rosekrans then took the second set, 6-3, winning the match.

On other courts, junior Ilene Rafii and senior Allison Heinrich lost their doubles match in two sets, and No. 2 singles player senior Meghan Przybyla lost in two sets, 4-6, 2-6.

Paly has been having a rough season so far; playing against top Norcal teams in their first few meets. With the loss of two graduating seniors, and three other girls over the summer, in Harader’s mind the team is not as skilled as last year.

Sacred Heart Prep coach Losaline Mafileo said, "Paly has had a history of being good, and has [always] had a competitive team."