A wild and contemporary performance of Tango Flamenco is coming to Palo Alto

The heat is coming Oct. 7 at 8 p.m. when the Compania Talent Danza Ballet Espanõl Company will stomp and twirl its way on stage in an exclusive visit to the Bay Area. With a unique mix of flamenco and Spanish dance, "Tango Flamenco" will be performed at the Memorial Auditorium at the Stanford University campus.

Long, flowing dresses will glide across the floor in a seraphic display of flamenco dance, initiating the hot and fiery beat which commands the sensual and passionate rhythm.

"The histories of both the music and dance are incredibly rich and seeing them performed in tandem is a unique experience," noted Robin Fribance, interim executive director of Lively Arts.

The internationally acclaimed, 90 minute performance features a total of 24 artists in two acts: Alma Flamenco (Flamenco Soul) and Alma Portena Buenos Aires Soul).

Two different Argentine musical groups lead the dancers in the performance. Jarcamora, a group of flamenco musicians, play passionate and intimate sounds in the first act. The Ensamble Nuevo Tango plays in the second act with contemporary Argentinean tango music that incorporates an orchestral accompaniment, producing a bold and unique style.

The company was established in May 2002 by co-directors, Antonio Najarro and Pascal Gaona, their first production being "Tango Flamenco" which was performed in the Theatre of Bayonne, France.

Najarro and Gaona also co-choreograph for the French Federation of figure skating and designed the gold metal winning French ice dancing piece in the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. The combined talents of these well-known Spanish and French choreographers has created new trends of classical Spanish dance, captivating fans worldwide.

Tickets for general admission are $26 for adults, $23 for non-Stanford students and $13 for youth ages 15 and younger.

To purchase tickets call the Stanford Ticket Office at Tresidder Memorial Union at 650-725-ARTS (2787) or order online at http://livelyarts.stanford.edu.

The Stanford Memorial Auditorium is located at 551 Serra Mall of Serra Street at Galvez, across from the Hoover Tower. Parking is free.