Silk Road photo journal opens young minds

The "Journey to the West on the Silk Road" photo exhibit is displaying over 150 photos of the journey that a legendary Chinese monk took over 1,300 years ago. Traveling more than 10,000 miles for five years, professional photographers brought back images of all the rich life of different cultures the monk, Hsuan Tsang, encountered in his search of authentic Buddhist scriptures in India thirteen centuries ago.

According to the Taiwanese organization, Tzu Chi Foundation, that supports the gallery, this project opens people’s eyes to Buddhism and the cultures and histories of the countries along the Silk Road. With a once in a lifetime chance to see these wonders, a 20 minute drive down to Millbrae will be worth it.

“I liked that [the exhibit] shows pictures with feelings to it,” a visitor Paul Chen said. “As they say, ‘a picture is worth a thousand words.’”

In the back of the gallery, lectures by professors of colleges are also given in Chinese and English on the variety of subjects that the exhibit displays, such as the cultures and religions of the different countries the photographers traveled to and the Buddhist art around the Silk Road. These lectures are only given on weekends once in the morning and once in the afternoon though, lasting about an hour and a half long.

There is also a bookstore available to the guests with Chinese magazines and novels about the gallery.

“There is so much knowledge all condensed into one gallery,” student visitor Tina Tseng said. “It’s really cool.”

“You realize afterwards that there’s a lot more to these Middle Eastern countries than war and terrorism,” said Steve Yang, another visitor.

The Tzu Chi Foundation is also hosting a student essay contest which focuses on this exhibit. It is open to all students from elementary, middle and high school. According to the foundation, judges will evaluate the paper based on the student’s understanding of Hsuan Tsang, and creativity and quality of writing. The top three winners will receive an iPod, according to the foundation.

If those who miss this exhibit it will appear again in Monterey Park, California in January, Whitestone, New York in March and Houston, Texas in May 2006.

“I would recommend [the exhibit] to everyone, not just Chinese [people],” a Tzu Chi volunteer Wayne Tan said.

This exhibit is open for the public everyday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. from Dec. 13 to Dec. 18, at 231 Adrian Road in Millbrae, Calif., with free admission.

Chinese or English guides are available to visitors. For teachers who want to bring their students, school tours, with a maximum of 25 students per group, are an option.

For more information regarding this exhibit, go to http://www.tzuchi.org/global/silkroad/ or call 408-262-3389.