Paly polo avenges last season's defeat

The Paly varsity boys’ water polo team defeated Gunn 9-4 at Sacred Heart Prep on Wednesday in the first league game of the season. The Paly junior varsity boys beat Gunn, 17-6.

The varsity game, played at Sacred Heart because of the availability of the regulation pool while Paly’s pool is under construction, was Paly’s first victory over Gunn in the past three years.

"It’s great," said Paly captain senior Michael Sorgenfri. "Gunn has been dominating the league for the past three years. They’re one of the best teams in the league. It was a huge game."

Paly head coach Jon Barnea was pleased with the results of the game.

"It’s a great, great victory," Barnea said. "Anytime you beat Gunn it’s great. They’re a quality opponent and our cross-town rival. It’s a great way to start the league season."

Barnea had high expectations of the Paly boys before the meet, despite the loss of Michael Fortune, who is out for four weeks due to injuries from an unrelated accident.

"We have a great deal of senior leadership," Barnea said. "The guys have been working real hard all summer to get ready for the season. I’m pretty excited about the season’s possibilities."

The Gunn team was more cautious in their expectations before the meet.

"One of our top five scorers from last year is returning this year," Gunn coach Mark Hernandez said. "We lost three to graduation and one of them isn’t playing this season. Especially because it’s this young on the season, it’s hard to say who will win. You never want to underestimate a team coached by Jon Barnea."

Gunn got off to an early lead, pulling ahead of Paly 2-0 at the first quarter. After watching Paly score four points in the second quarter, the Gunn team suffered a critical blow when the referees ejected Matt Johnson in the third quarter for kicking Sorgenfri after he scored for Paly.

"One of their better players was kicked out of the game," Barnea said. "The referee saw something he didn’t like and called it. It was unfortunate for them, but it made some opportunities for us that we wouldn’t have had."

Paly went on to score three points after Gunn lost Johnson. Gunn never recovered from the loss, and only scored one point in the second half of the game.

The Paly water polo team will take on Burlingame today at 3 p.m. at Burlingame.