Varsity girls cross country speeding off to a great start

With essentially all members of the varsity girls cross-country team returning from last year, this year’s team already has a solid foundation.

“We are looking at quite possibly the best team in Paly history this year,” girls head coach Paul Jones said. “We have three runners who would be at the head of any pack, and then five or six solid runners who will really contribute to the team.”

The team sprinted its way into a very promising season at a practice meet against Gunn and St. Francis High School on Sept. 9. Junior Renata Cummins won the two-plus mile race with a time of 13:06, but all team members delivered solid efforts. Racing in fiercely hot weather, and on a dusty dirt course, the Lady Vikings were able to overcome obstacles and still run impressive races.

With nine potential varsity runners and only seven slots in any one particular race, the girls are constantly being pushed to work harder and improve their times.

“There will be some very stiff competition this year for that sixth and seventh spot, and I imagine that the girls will become more aggressive,” Jones noted.

Despite this competitive edge, the team is very tight-knit.

“We are way closer this year then we have been in past years of Varsity Cross Country,” team captain senior Katie Gosling said.

Wearing matching hair ribbons and presenting each other with secret pal gifts, the girls can often be found embracing, giving high-fives, and laughing among themselves when not running.

Although the majority of the varsity team consists of returning juniors and seniors, much anticipation surrounds freshman Tamar Ben-Shachar. After only running track at Jordan, Ben-Shachar will make her cross-country debut this year on the Paly team. She placed first for Paly and 14th overall in the JV race with a time of 15:35, two minutes behind the first place runner. When asked about her personal goals this year she simply responded, “to have fun and get really fast.”

The varsity team has its own goals for this year, namely to make it all the way to the state meet.

“We really want to make it as a team this year, especially the seniors since it will be our last year," Gosling said. "I like to think that the juniors want to make it with us also, rather than with a new set of runners next year.”

Jones agreed: “I think they’ve got a good shot of making [states] this year, but it will take a lot of hard work.”

By proving themselves to be as friendly as they are athletic, this year’s varsity girls cross-country team expects to have a legendary season. Through the diversity and large supply of excellent runners on the team, they are sure to create excellent competition in all of their meets this season.

“The meet we will run our best in will be [states],” Jones said optimistically.