ASB adapts Spirit Week to COVID-19 restrictions

Brennen Ho and Emily Yun

As Spirit Dance practices and float building are starting up in-person, Palo Alto High School’s Associated Student Body is launching its annual Spirit Week with several modifications due to COVID-19 restrictions.

“Everybody’s safety is really important to ASB,” junior and Spirit Commissioner Evie Kramer said. “We are making sure all of our assemblies, Homecoming Dance, and all Spirit Week preparation activities such as float building and the Spirit Dances are held outside. We are following all guidelines set in place while still trying to maintain Spirit Week traditions.”

Seniors practice during lunch on the Palo Alto High School football field in preparation for the Spirit Dance. Each class will perform their spirit dances during a spirit assembly next Friday after school. “I think the Spirit Dance practices are a fun way to spend lunch,” senior Cate Barrett said. “They really help in getting everyone excited for spirit week.” (Photo: Anushe Irani)

According to Senior Class President Mathew Signorello-Katz, the Palo Alto Unified School District set a mandate that requires all activities to be held outside, including typically indoor activities such as float building and the Homecoming Dance.

“Because of the district mandate requiring that all activities be held outside, ASB has been tasked with the logistical feat of converting float building into a fully outdoor activity, as well as planning outdoor events that carry the same level of energy as an indoor rally would,” Signorello-Katz said.

According to Sophomore Vice President Sophia Kim, ASB is working closely with Paly admin to ensure that COVID-19 protocols are followed.

“We will be abiding by the school and county restrictions for COVID-19,” Kim said. “Also, we’re working with [Paly] administration to decide how to enforce COVID restrictions and if any additional measures are necessary.”

Despite the many modifications to Spirit Week activities, Signorello-Katz said he does not expect a decline in school spirit within the student body.

“As corny as it sounds, students at Paly, especially the senior class, have an abundance of spirit,” Signorello-Katz said. “I’m so excited for Spirit Week as a chance to really showcase that spirit at an even larger level.”

According to Kim, ASB is looking forward to seeing students represent their classes and altogether represent Paly after nearly two years of being unable to do so.

“ASB has been working really hard to try and retain the essence of Spirit Week that we’ve been lacking for the past year,” Kim said. “Although it’s going to be a little bit different this year, we really hope that the students enjoy it.”

Spirit Week will begin on Oct. 11 and last until Oct. 15. More details about Spirit Week can be found on the ASB website.