Girls are successful at states meet

Five Paly girls, including the 4-by-100-meter relay team and freshman Mia Lattanzi, headed to states in Sacramento on Friday. Although they did not win, they placed well and made good steps for the upcoming seasons.

In the 400-meter dash preliminaries, Lattanzi was one of only three freshman who made it to states in the event. In her heat, Lattanzi faced junior Myra Hasson of Gardena High School. It was a good race, but in the end Hasson took first in 54.82 seconds, beating Lattanzi by about one and a half seconds. Lattanzi did not qualify for the finals, although making it to states alone was an accomplishment. Lattanzi’s time placed her thirteenth overall in the state, and wrapped up a successful and record setting season.

The 4-by-100-meter relay team were underdogs in the preliminary heat. With good running from all, sophomore Alyson Seedman crossed the line with a time of 48.67 seconds. This time placed them seventh in their heat, and put them in nineteenth place overall in the meet to end their season. The girls had a successful year, winning almost if not all duel meets, setting school records, and qualifying for states. Next season, the team will lose senior Katrina Zawojski, but juniors Ranecia Fields, Katy Wanner, and sophomore Alyson Seedman will be back for hopefully another winning year.

All in all the girls’ track team was victorious this season. They won SCVALS, came in fifth in CCS, and had five runners go to the state meet. Many records have been set as well. Zawojski set the triple jump record with a 38’9” jump, the long jump with a jump of 18’9”, the 200-meter with a 25.21 second race, and was a member of the 4-by-100-meter relay team that set a 48.31 second time. All of her records were set at the CCS qualifyer meet two weeks ago. Lattanzi was another record setter this year. She came into the season running a 59.8 in her first race. Slowly she began to progress and half way through the season, she broke the school record. She continued to beat her own record and finished the season with a record 56.18 seconds.

There is much to look forward to next year, as the team is only losing two senior girls, Katrina Zawojski and Ali Apple, they will still have a great team.