Fairmeadow Elementary School to host district craft show

Soon Fairmeadow Elementary School’s field will be filled with tables stacked with blank pieces of paper waiting to be festooned with creative drawings and paintings.
Students will drift over to the tables and select their medium, their thoughts moving rapidly over what they plan to create. In the background intricate jewelry, exquisite paintings, and sculptures by local artists will be displayed.

The Palo Alto Unified School District is holding the "Foundations Through Beauty Arts and Craft Show" on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. All students and community members are welcome.

“I think it’s [the art show] a wonderful idea,” photographer and accountant Bob Adler said. “It allows local artists to display their work as well as provides funding to benefit Palo Alto schools. There will be some amazing art work at the festival and everyone will win by attending.”

Not only will the art show serve as an art exhibit, but the show also includes a drawing and painting contest. The contest entry fee is $4, all of which will be donated to the Palo Alto Partners in Education, an organization that helps fundraise for the Palo Alto public schools. Students in kindergarten through twelfth grade qualify and may only use the materials provided. The entries must be completed by 2:30 p.m.

According to the event home page, after 2:30 p.m. local artists will choose the 12 best drawings. These will then make up the cover of the Palo Alto Unified School District Calendar for 2005 and 2006.

The exhibit portion of the craft show will include works of art from 43 different local artists. The pieces will be on display and available for purchase and 20% of the profits will go directly to the Palo Alto Partners in Education Foundation. The art will range from handbags, jewelry, and other accessories to clay sculptures, paintings, photos, and ceramics.

“The art show is a good idea for several reasons,” jewelry artist Carina Rossner said. “It benefits the worthwhile cause of the public school art program in an ‘appropriate’ way by featuring local artists, it also financially benefits both the customers of fine art as well as the artists in that it removes the middle-man, typically the gallery, from the equation and allows both ends of the transaction to get a better deal. Finally, it gives the community a sense of the variety and talent that exists right here in our city.”
The artists attending the show are extremely passionate about their form of art, and look forward to being part of the event.

“It [the art show] will give artists a chance to have their work seen, who might not otherwise have that opportunity,” textile artist Diane Carver said.

Many of the featured artists have held part-time or full-time jobs in Palo Alto, while perusing their art careers.

“The fun for me [in photography] is non-lineal thinking after years of being a lawyer and the appreciation of others in what I can create,” photographer Bob Kahn said.

Others have left previous jobs to focus solely on creating.

“I decided to be a full time artist after managing an art gallery, and realizing that there was no ‘magic’ to being an artist,” jewelry artist Violet Drury-Silva said. “Just by following one’s dreams and being committed to one’s craft is all that is required.”

There will be food and drink for sale, including Jamba Juice and food from the taqueria El Grullense. There is no admissions fee for the event, which will take place on Fairmeadow campus at 500 East Meadow Dr. in Palo Alto. Come to enjoy delicious food, beautiful artwork, and an exciting contest.

“[The art show allows] the artists to meet one another and share their craft with the community,” accessory artist Deborah Maciel said. “And the kids will also benefit!”