SCVAL finals meet proves Paly girls dominance

Palo Alto girls’ track team ran away with a victory in SCVALs on May 14, beating its closest opponent by more than thirty points. The Lady Vikes set many personal records and even set school records in this meet leading up to CCS.

The 4×100-meter relay team took to the track seeded in first place out of 14 teams. Seniors Ranecia Fields and Katrina Zawojski, junior Katy Wanner, and sophomore Alison Seedman set a school record in the event with a time of 48.52 seconds, beating the old time by a half a second.

But the girls weren’t done there. Zawojski won three other events, the 200-meter, long jump, and triple jump. Wanner took third place in the 100-meter, finishing three one hundredths of a second behind sophomore Jaimee Erickson of Los Gatos. Wanner also placed second in the triple jump behind teammate Zawojski, landing 1‘10“ behind her.

In the open 400-meter race, freshman Mia Latanzi faced Los Altos’ sophomore Bria Nelson, who Latanzi beat by a nose in their prior meeting on the track. However, this race proved to be different with Latanzi taking a large lead out of the final turn. With competition out of sight, Latanzi crossed the line in 56.56 seconds, breaking her old record and the school record as well.

Junior Elissa Chandler won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 16.02 seconds, winning by only one tenth of a second. This ties Chandler’s personal best as she qualifies for CCS. Chandler also placed fourth in the 300-meter hurdle race with a time of 48.07 seconds. Junior Meghan Przybyla place third in the same race in 47.10 seconds.

In the field events, sophomore Linda Oseso qualified for CCS in the shot put placing sixth with a throw of 32’10”, only beating the seventh place thrower by one inch. Oseso also qualified in the discus event, throwing 104’9” for fifth place.

The distance races proved to be just as successful for Paly. Sophomore Renata Cummins placed third in the two mile with a time of 11:31. Sophomore Alicia Ivanhoe came in fourth in the 800-meter event with a personal record time of 2:24.

The girls’ mile showed how elite competition is getting. Saratoga’s senior Alicia Follmar set this year’s state record in the mile with a time of 4:49.

The Lady Vikes now move on to the CCS qualifying round which will take place Saturday at San Jose State University.