Paly Girls Track Wins Leagues

On May 3 and 5 of last week, Paly’s girls’ track team took first place in the De Anza League meet, with a score of 161 points.

The meet on Thursday kicked off with the 4×100 relay. Sophomore Alyson Seedman, Paly’s last runner, crossed the line in 49.05 seconds, as Paly beat the second place team by over a second.

The second event of the meet was the mile run, in which sophomore Renata Cummins was seeded second to Gunn’s senior Tory Tyler. Cummins tailed Tory for the whole race, and in the last one hundred meters, Cummins passed her cross-town rival and took first place in a personal record time of 5:07. The two met again in the two mile, where Tyler won by a commanding 48 seconds.

"I can’t believe it; I’m so happy," Cummins said.

In the open four hundred meter race, freshman Mia Latanzi was favored to do well, but sophomore Bria Nelson of Los Altos was expected to be a challenge. Latanzi and Nelson were neck and neck in the last one hundred meters, and the two crossed the line almost simultaneously. A photo finish showed that Latanzi won by less than a foot in a time of 57.61 seconds.

Junior Katy Wanner took first place in the one hundred meter race in 12.93 seconds and beat freshman Carrie Thomas of Milpitas by .08 seconds. Wanner placed second in both the triple jump and the high jump.

In the field events, senior Katrina Zawojski placed first in the long jump with a jump of 16’9" and also won the triple jump in 36’1/2".

The Lady Vikes demonstrated strenght throughout the meet, placing in the top six in all events. Many move on to the SCVAL finals that take place May 14 at Los Gatos High School.