Paly girls track defeats Los Gatos with ease

The Paly track team faced the Los Gatos Wildcats 75-52 at Los Gatos. The victory, however, lis less meaningful because Los Gatos chose to run its back-up team.

The Lady Vikes took control of the meet right off the bat with a win in the four by one hundred relay event. They began the race trailing the Wildcats, but in the third and fourth legs of the race, Paly took the lead and ran to victory with a time of 51.1 seconds.

One of the more intense races of the meet was the mile run. Palo Alto’s sophomore Renata Cummings was expected to win, but Los Gatos faced her with one of their faster girls to counter. The race began with Cummings and two Los Gatos girls in a commanding lead. As the race went on, one Los Gatos runner fell from the leading group. In the last 100 meters, it was a desperate sprint for the finish line. In the end, it took a photo finish to conclude that the Los Gatos runner ,Goodwin, defeated Cummings with a 5:23.25.

Another exciting race was the 400 meter sprint. freshman Mia Latanzi blew away all of the Paly team when she ran a 59.13 and won the race. It is a great feat for a girl runner to break one minute in the 400 meter event, and even more impressive for it to be done by a freshman. Latanzi is two seconds from breaking a school record, and with three more years ahead of her.

For three hours, the spectators saw Palo Alto runners coming across the line before Los Gatos, and it grew boring for most of the team.

With the points the girls scored, the Vikings won the meet, but the mood didn’t seem victorious. Most said that they were offended that Los Gatos didn’t run their fastest runners.

This meet proved to be superfluous to the Vikings, since many were already focusing on the upcoming meet in West Valley College on the weekend.