Varsity softball loses to the Wilcox Chargers, 20-11

The Paly varsity softball team struggled with bad weather, a wet field, and bad throwing as the El Camino Division second place team, the Wilcox Chargers, beat the Lady Vikes 20-11, Wednesday afternoon.

After losing two straight games to undefeated Saratoga and winning one against Santa Clara, the Paly softball team was looking for another win to boost its record to above a 50% winning percentage. The teams record was at 6-6 prior to the game.

The Chargers took the lead early in the game, scoring three runs off of Paly’s starting pitcher, sophomore Christie Cory in the top of the first. Cory allowed two walks and three singles in the inning.

"Cory has pitched for us all year long and has pitched well up until these last few games," Paly head coach George Fangonilo said. "These past couple of games she’s been pitching behind. That’s why there are so many walks."

The Lady Vikes started their own rally in the bottom half of the first. Senior Kelli Fangonilo started it off with a hard single up the third baseline. Sophomore Katie Barich followed with a triple to deep center, scoring Fangonilo. A few batters later, sophomore Nikki Remmel flew out to right field, but due to the wet field the Chargers’ right fielder slipped and Barich was able to score, bringing the score to 3-2, Chargers.

"I’m so happy," Barich said. "I hit my first triple of the season."

In the top of the second inning, Cory walked Wilcox junior Dani Martin. After two consecutive bunts and two consecutive bad throws to first, the score was pushed up to 4-2. The next batter, freshman Kristen Castillo, hit an inside the park home run with runners on second and third. The score was 7-2. The Chargers eventually scored another run in the inning, making it 8-2, Chargers.

In the bottom half of the inning, Paly began its own rally, as sophomores Anne Widera and Cory were both hit by pitches. Fangonilo came up with one out and singled to left, scoring Widera. Barich drew a walk, and then junior Brittnay Stankovic doubled to deep center, scoring Barich and Fangonilo. The score was 8-5, Wilcox.

After Wilcox scored another two runs in the top of the fourth inning on a triple by junior Jamie Pauley, the Vikings came up strong in the bottom of the fourth. Cory led off the inning with a single to left, and then senior Elena Stillerman walked, making it runners on first and second with nobody out. Fangonilo came up and slammed an inside the park home run, scoring Stillerman and Cory. The score was 10-8, Wilcox.

The Chargers scored four runs in the fifth inning, two runs in the sixth inning, and three runs in the seventh inning. They were up 20-8 going into the bottom of the seventh.

Coach Fangonilo brought in Fangonilo as the Paly pitcher in the sixth inning to replace Cory. Although Fangonilo has pitched before, Coach Fangonilo doesn’t like to bring her in.

"I should’ve started [Fangonilo] in the beginning of the year so we could have two pitchers, so they could go back and forth," Coach Fangonilo said. "I didn’t want to risk Fangonilo getting hurt though."

In the bottom of the seventh inning, Paly was down by 12 runs. Sophomore Sisley Brewer started off the inning with a double to center. Widera reached first on an error by the third baseman, advancing Brewer to third. Cory hit the ball to second, but was safe on an error by the second baseman. Widera advanced to second and Brewer scored. Fangonilo singled to right and Widera scored. Barich singled to left and Cory scored, making the score 20-11. That was all the Lady Vikes could add on, as the next batters were retired 1-2-3.

The win keeps Wilcox in second place in the El Camino Division with a 7-2 record. According to Wilcox assistant coach Ed Slate, the Chargers needed this win to boost their spirits.

"The Saratoga losses were pretty much the end of our chance to win division because only the top team in the El Camino Division can go on to the Central Coast Sectionals (CCS). Saratoga is undefeated."

Paly coach Fangonilo attributes Paly’s recent string of losses to the fact that the team lacks the most important thing necessary to win the game.

"It’s all about heart," he said. "This team doesn’t have it. We’ve tried different approaches and it just doesn’t happen."

He also blames the fact that he has not been around these past couple of weeks due to his new job in Minnesota that requires a lot of travel. Assistant Coach, Fel Yacamp has been in charge.

With no chance of making CCS, Paly is now hoping to play its last couple of games well and end on a high note.

The Lady Vikes next game is at home against Cupertino at 4 p.m this afternoon.