Paly swim teams crush Mountain View

The Viking swimmers won another meet last Friday with victories over Mountain View from all four individual Paly teams.

The most accurate scores available for the meet had the varsity boys winning, 105-76, and the varsity girls winning, 101-81. No accurate scores were available for the junior varsity teams. According to Paly head coach Danny Dye, the scoring problems stemmed with the scoring system used by Mountain View at the meet, which was a manual scorecard and stop-watch system, instead of the computer timing system used at most other meets.

"The pool is really small and crowded," JV boys swimmer sophomore Adam Whitfield said during the meet. "The meet is being rushed. They’re not using computers for timing, but instead they’re using stopwatches and giving the times to people to score the meet. Its crazy."

Even with the heavy rain, the Paly swimmers still managed to put up good times. According to Paly’s split sheet, the varsity girls handily won the 200-yard individual freestyle. Junior Donna Kremer came in first as her with a time of 2:05.37, while Paly swimmers Tanya Wilcox and Erica Westly came in second and third, respectively. The varsity girls also finished one-two in the 200-yard medley relay, with sophomore Louisa Zuo, Wilcox, senior Monika Friedman, and junior Phoebe Champion finishing in first with a time of 1:59.76. The varsity boys swept the 50-yard freestyle, with junior Chan Kim winning the event with a time of 22.80. The varsity boys finished one-two in the 500-yard freestyle with a first place swim by senior co-captain Jeremy Goldstein in 5:02.80.

Though the Paly swims were strong, other aspects of the meet contributed to overall confusion. According to Mountain View head coach Ben Murray, the Mountain View team set up their pool by 2 p.m., only to have the rain begin just as Paly swimmers began to arrive.

"We had it all set up and ready to go, then it started to rain," Murray said. "We had to go home and grab tarps. If it wasn’t raining, it would have gone a lot more smoothly."

Paly head coach Danny Dye weighed in on Mountain View’s efforts to start the meet.

"Their vice principal was down here trying to get things going," Dye said. "I realize he had good intentions and wanted to get the kids out of the rain as soon as possible, but he needed a little more patience. You need to wait for the head coach to start a swim meet. Once they got it going, though, they did a fine job."

With their undefeated season, the Paly swimmers are optimistic about their chances at leagues and CCS. At their Monday practice, varsity captain senior Alec Goldfield was especially confident.

"We dominated them," Goldfield said. "We are currently doing our secret training that we do before leagues every year. This training assures our victory," he continued sarcastically.

Paly will move on to preliminaries for leagues this at 2 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at Saratoga, the days will be divided between the girls’ and boys’ teams respectively. All teams are favored to win at league finals at 2 p.m. on Friday.