Disaster drill coming Tuesday

Disaster-preparedness officials will simulate a large earthquake on the Paly campus at 9:25 a.m., on Tuesday April 19, and the campus will be on a special schedule throughout the day to accomodate the activity.

All classes are required to duck and cover before evacuating to their fourth period classes on the football field, according to Ellie Slack, Paly math teacher and disaster response organizer. Students who have a fourth period prep should report to the score board at the end of the football field to their appropriate grouped designated by a teacher holding a sign, Slack said.

The city of Palo Alto will simulate a mass casualty incident at the same time Paly is running the earthquake drill. The city will bring 30 volunteers to campus and emergency services to medically treat them. The city is feigning the collapse of Paly’s 100 building, so the parking lot between the 100 building and Embarcadero Road will be roped off so that the city is able to park emergency vehicles on campus, Slack said.

According to Slack, Paly’s drill will last from 9:25 a.m. until 10:15 a.m., but the emergency vehicles will remain on campus until 11:30 a.m. During the drill, Paly will also be simulating student and teacher injuries to refine and check its own search and rescue, first aid, and triage systems. Paly will operate on a special schedule in order to divide time equally between classes.