Weekly One-on-One: Hannah Schwartz

Weekly One-on-One: Hannah Schwartz

This week I was able to sit down with one of Paly’s very own In Focus anchors, Hannah Schwartz. Hannah was able to give me some awesome insider information about Paly’s broadcast journalism program.

Q: Hannah, please tell me, how does it feel delivering the Thursday announcements to Paly?

A: Why Katie, it’s rather exhilarating. It’s so much fun because you know that the whole school is watching, and when you mess up, everyone knows! I love it.

Q: Do you ever get a nasty case of the butterflies? Or is being on camera more of a natural feeling for you?

A: Well, I’d like to say I’m more of a natural born anchor, but I’ll admit that the first few times I felt a little queasy. But good ol’ Krums [anchor partner Allie Krummel] helped me get through it, she’s great.

Q: What is your personal favorite part of doing broadcasts?

A: I’d say writing the scripts for the broadcast. And it’s cool to be on camera with the huge lights blinding you and you feel like your melting because it’s so hot. It’s really awesome overall though.

Q: Where did your inspiration come from for being part of the broadcast journalism team? A deep love for Diane Sawyer?

A: Well, I’d have to say I’m more of a Tom Brokaw girl, but it was really like when I was an underclassman, I thought the people on In Focus were so cool. So naturally, I wanted to be on it.

Q: What was your first experience like being on air? Was it totally nerve wracking?

A: Haha, yes. Allie and I were sitting there just staring at the lights and the little camera and we were like "ohhh lord, I hope we don’t mess up." But you know, we got over it and we’ve got it down now, sort of?

Q: So, how do you become and anchor on In Focus? Do you simply go to the In Focus god and drop a request?

A: Actually, no. In Focus is an actual class. Yeah I know, who would have thought? It’s 4th period and wouldn’t know you, you have to sign up for it and have to have taken either beginning journalism or video production.

Q: Hmm, so In Focus is an actual class then. How did you get the position of anchor then?

A: It’s a rather vigorous process. You have to sign up to be an anchor once you are in the class. You have to write your own script, perform it by yourself to the editors, and be critiqued by the whole class. Like to be honest, it sucked, but I mean hey, when you do the real broadcast, the whole school its critiquing you, so in perspective it’s not that bad.

Q: If you like mess up on air or stutter does your grade dramatically decrease?

A: Haha, if that were true Allie and I would definitely be down to F’s by now. Haha, grades have to do with completing your segments on time, not how well you broadcast.

Q: I know personally I have greatly enjoyed Thursday broadcasts of In Focus, you and Allie have hilarious scripts. Do you guys construct these scripts yourselves? Or is there an all powerful script maker?

A: Why Katie, I’m so honored you feel that way. Feel free to start a fan club, Allie and I would be in full support. But no, every anchor pair writes their own script. We get the bulletin for Thursday on Wednesday after school and then let our creative juices flow!

Q: Is there any other work you need to do in the In Focus class? Or is anchoring your main job that brings home the bacon for you?

A: Unfortunately, just anchoring doesn’t cut it for Mac [Mr. McNulty, In Focus advisor]. Everyone enrolled in the class has to film and edit all the segments assigned to them by the due date. If you don’t complete the segment, you can’t get an A.

Q: Segment making, eh? Sounds like fun and a lot of work. To be in In Focus do you need lots of background in video editing and filming?

A: Let me tell you, it would sure help! The first segment Allie and I made too us so long because we had no idea whatsoever we were doing with the editing program. I think I had to call Greg Murphy like every five minutes one day because we had no idea what to do. But I mean it’s not necessary, once you learn how to do everything you’re set.

Q: Do you come up with all your own segments? Or are you assigned them?

A: Both, if you have a segment idea that you really want to do, you just tell Mac or the editors ad have it approved by them. But most of the time Mac will assign you one. But I mean it’s totally easy to change it to something that really interests you.

Q: I’ve seen you and Allie featured in two segments, holiday shopping and ice cream. Were these segments directed and produced by you guys? Or were you simply the actresses used?

A: What you witnessed in those two segments was filming, editing, and supreme acting by Allie and me. I mean, couldn’t you tell? That’s why they were so high tech and amazing.

Q: I know a few weeks ago, you and Allie were semi-ridiculed on a Friday edition of In Focus. How did this make you feel? Are you guys plotting any top secret retaliation?

A: I’m actually not at liberty to talk about that, but let’s just say that Allie and I are professionals and above revenge.

Q: Will there be a battle of the Thursday and Friday anchors coming up? Or have you guys reconciled the hard feelings?

A: Who knows, but keep an eye out for it. It might just be little subtle things, we’ll see.

Q: Do you still plan on anchoring next year? I know I personally will be upset if you are not an anchor.

A: Heck yes I do! Allie and I will be back for more, it’ll be better than ever.

Q: Do you hope to pursue broadcast journalism in college?

A: You know, we’ll see where ever the wind takes me. It could definitely be a possibility, I really enjoy it so it’d be awesome to make a career of it.

Q: Where do you hope broadcast journalism takes you in life? Do you hope to become an MTV broadcaster or are you going for more the of weather girl effect?

A: I mean if CBS offers me a job to be the head anchor on their most watched newscast, hey, I’d be down. But really I think I could adapt to anything, you know how it goes.

Q: What has been the best part of broadcasting this year? What advice do you want to extend to those who are wishing to be an In Focus anchor one day?

A: That’s a toughie. I say just be yourself and have fun! I mean it’s no fun to watch really stiff anchors that can’t loosen up. You must be able to make fun of yourself, that’s key, but at the same time you know when it’s time to give Paly the news!